Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 Tundra: Cracked Cylinder Wall

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  OkSlim 
#1 ·
Here we go....

Check engine light flashing and truck is idling rough. Take it to dealership and the say it's a misfire on #2 cylinder. Replace ignition coil. Runs great when I pick it up, 2 days later start it, idling rough, check engine light on. Take it back to the dealership...they move the coil to #4 cylinder and dealership tech drives it 60 miles...no problems . Tell me to keep driving it and say if check engine light comes back on it will probably read #4 instead of # 2...the we know its just a bad coil. Drive for 2 days, running fine...then same problem/same check engine light. Take it back to dealer. They check fuel rail, injector, tell me they can't figure out what's wrong with it and they are calling the Toyota Tech gurus. Next day they scope #2, see coolant and say I blew a head gasket...$3600 estimate. They say I blew a head gasket most likely because the truck overheated. I tell them its never overheated, they scan the "black box" and say in writing " your right, this engine has never overheated".

Once they get the heads off they see that the gasket is fine and instead the #2 cylinder wall is cracked from top to bottom. Say they have never seen this on this 2008 engine. I call 8 toyota dealerships and no one has seen this. 2 days later it just so happens two Toyota engineers are at the dealership and they have them look at it. The engineers take pictures, get the vin#, and look it over for 45 minutes. They say they have only ever seen a cracked cylinder wall on this engine in their race team vehicles or if the engine had a supercharger. Neither of these scenarios apply to my engine. I ask them what the engineers said specifically and the dealership tech says " they were Japanese so it was hard to understand them real well ". Ooooooookay.

Truck has 92k miles and no extended warranty. I've purchased 3 new Toyotas in last 10 years, 2 from this dealership. Dealership says the only options I have with them are;

1. put a used engine in it with 42k miles for $12,100.00

2. put a new engine in for $12,900.00

After 2-3 phone calls looking for relief/ answers, finally one service guy tells me I need to call national 800# and talk to them if I want any help with the cost. National 800# girl calls and talks to dealer and after 30 minutes of questions and being on hold she says Toyota National office can't help me. The engine isn't defective, it's just broke. The dealership says the black box has been scanned and cleared and that because of this they can't help with repair cost. Dealership also says because I never used them for my free oil changes and because I only had them do 30k mile service and someone else did the other 2 that they can't help me on the $12,000 new/ used engine options.

Any ideas/tips on how to proceed?

See less See more
#3 ·
Black Box

"Black box" was the dealer tech's term. Now they are telling me the "black box" data was cleared when I had autozone scan the check engine light (gas cap) and because they scanned and cleared this "black box" that the dealership can't access the data they need . So any help they might have been able to provide is now not an option.

#4 ·
I feel your pain but you blew an engine at 92K. You didn't buy the extended warranty and you never gave them your service business. What do they owe you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.