Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pristinely maintained engine failed 2 days ago with only 84,000 miles on it. Never off road, never had an issue, no real lift other than Bilstein 5100's + 34" tires, scheduled maintenance all on track, drove like new, daily driver for my short distance to work, etc.

...UNTIL it didn't the other day getting on the freeway. All was fine then all of a sudden huge loss of power and rattling. No smoke, was able to keep it moving so I luckily was close to a dealer (autonation toyota) and slowly drove it the 2.4 miles to get there on side streets. At the fwy exit it died at the light. I turned it back on in park, kept revving the gas to keep it alive...Light turns green and threw it in drive and made my way to the dealer. Hit a few lights and every light had to throw it in park when I rolled up to the light, rev again, etc. It's obviously way out of warranty. I was there 11 days prior getting an oil change and front brake pads.

Dealer took the day trying to figure out the problem, emptied my gas thinking it might be bad, refilled with new gas, then tells me they are going to start with new spark plugs as step one in deciphering the issue as multiple errors were being shown to them. Next day they call me and turns out a piston broke and pieces shot all over inside the motor? Dealer claims $24K for new engine installed or $12k for a used 70,000 mile engine installed. Yeah, that's not happening.

Anybody here with similar story?

This story I'll add to as I talk to dealer and corporate, etc. To Be Continued.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
don't expect much from corporate. truck is 12 years old. doubtful dealer would help either.
either find a good used engine or get a reman and get an independent shop to install it.
rare for a piston to go bad on these.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, by researching a few forums I'm probably outta luck, but gonna try, of course. I've found a few threads with similar issues/miles, but one where Toyota accepted fault on a "freak occurrence" on a 2007 model and gave the guy a new engine. His was in the 76K mile range, but only 8yrs old at the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the almost identical thing happen with my 2010 Tundra. It was a black crewmax with the 5.7 flex engine. I even had the same shocks and tires you have. I ALWAYS changed the oil with the Toyota filter and Mobil 1. Same ASE mechanic who is a great friend. I’d stand and watch him every time. I was at lunch one day and pulled into a parking spot. Came back out and when I started the truck it sounded like rattling a can of nails. I immediately turned it off. I thought maybe it was a flywheel or starter interference.

Really long story short - Toyota dealer found a broken piston with a bunch of little parts and a hole in the block. I couldn’t believe it. I can’t remember exactly but I think the truck has about 90k miles. Never used hard or abused. Rarely towed. The dealer wanted about $20k for a new motor or $12k for a used one. I felt Toyota should have done much more to help me so I ended up taking it to an independent shop. It was a nightmare. The first problem was finding an engine. LKQ and others rarely had these engines because “they never fail”. I remember the flex engine was more money and even more rare. They couldn’t just put in the non-flex because of a conflict with the computer. As soon as it was finally repaired, I sold it. Went on a search for a better quality truck I liked more. Ended up buying... a 2016 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro. I’m at 70k and fingers crossed.

This was the strangest and most catastrophic failure I’ve ever witnessed. It made no sense. Wish I had better news. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your story sucks as well. Hope the new one last another 250k! So an update, I'm not buying a $6k rebuilt motor and having it installed (can't do myself nor the time if I wanted to). It'd come to about the worth of the truck's KBB so not worth the hassle. Toyota Corporate is giving me a whopping $1,000 if I buy from any toyota dealer as a loyalty dealio, but will be in form of a reimbursement after I buy so can't use it towards a down. The dealer is giving me zilch for the truck as a trade-in. So, now I am in the process of using peddle.com, an online "junk car dealer" who offered me almost $5k for it. I'm gonna go to dealer tomorrow to have them swap my big tires+method wheels for the original stock ones, disregarding swapping the TPMS sensors so I'll have those still as I just need the truck to roll for the tow truck to the junk place. So next truck another Tundra with my wheels or maybe go down to a Tacoma. I'm really disappointed the newer CrewMax's lost the rear sliding/reclining seats in 2014 and now they have pretty much zero storage space back there. Almost thinking the Double Cab as it at least has some storage behind the rear seats and standard bed.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sorry to hear about this failure. No good. I went from a Tundra to a Tacoma (2017) and hated the Tacoma. Uncomfortable seats, engine and transmission and rear gears were a poor match, and terrible gas mileage. Went back to a Tundra CM and love it (2015). The Tundra is a really good truck and I think they are the best made trucks you can buy. Granted, I think your engine should still be going, but I just smile at all my friends with their Fords and Chevys and Dodges that fail over and over and over again. I have had 5 Tundras now, and so far, I have had to replace one ABS wire harness for a front brake sensor, and one turn signal bulb (plus normal tires, brakes, oil). I suggest you get a new or slightly used one and just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My pristinely maintained engine failed 2 days ago with only 84,000 miles on it. Never off road, never had an issue, no real lift other than Bilstein 5100's + 34" tires, scheduled maintenance all on track, drove like new, daily driver for my short distance to work, etc.

...UNTIL it didn't the other day getting on the freeway. All was fine then all of a sudden huge loss of power and rattling. No smoke, was able to keep it moving so I luckily was close to a dealer (autonation toyota) and slowly drove it the 2.4 miles to get there on side streets. At the fwy exit it died at the light. I turned it back on in park, kept revving the gas to keep it alive...Light turns green and threw it in drive and made my way to the dealer. Hit a few lights and every light had to throw it in park when I rolled up to the light, rev again, etc. It's obviously way out of warranty. I was there 11 days prior getting an oil change and front brake pads.

Dealer took the day trying to figure out the problem, emptied my gas thinking it might be bad, refilled with new gas, then tells me they are going to start with new spark plugs as step one in deciphering the issue as multiple errors were being shown to them. Next day they call me and turns out a piston broke and pieces shot all over inside the motor? Dealer claims $24K for new engine installed or $12k for a used 70,000 mile engine installed. Yeah, that's not happening.

Anybody here with similar story?

This story I'll add to as I talk to dealer and corporate, etc. To Be Continued.
That's a shame, its rare but I happens. I saw a vid a few months back where a guy lent his Tundra to his neighbor to travel to FL I think for a vacation. The truck did basically the same thing, he was near a dealer when it happened also. I never watched the follow up video on what the dealer said as far as prices go.. I think it was around the same mileage possibly a oil pump... You should be able to find it easily curious if you had the same issue. I guess they either go forever or have a major issue, bummed for you man.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. My issue was a piston broke, shot up, hit spark plugs, bent valves etc. Ended up selling it to junkcarmedics.com, they gave me $5,100 for it. On the search for a new truck...giving this coronavirus a couple weeks to set in, affecting the dealer's sales/inventory so I can hopefully get a crazy good deal (like I did on this Tundra during the 2008 financial crisis. Drove off the lot at $26.4k!) X fingers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. My issue was a piston broke, shot up, hit spark plugs, bent valves etc. Ended up selling it to junkcarmedics.com, they gave me $5,100 for it. On the search for a new truck...giving this coronavirus a couple weeks to set in, affecting the dealer's sales/inventory so I can hopefully get a crazy good deal (like I did on this Tundra during the 2008 financial crisis. Drove off the lot at $26.4k!) X fingers
Just thinking about it, if you have anything you wont be using on the next one that I might want please let me know, mine is stock including suspension.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts