Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notes:
  • The low fuel light just came on. (which usually means i have at least 4 gallons of fuel left)
  • This is the first time I have ever had a problem with the truck. I only have 70K miles on it. I am the original owner.
  • The maintenance I have done on the truck is pretty much limited to tires, brakes and oil changes.
  • The truck is cranking over strong (probably not the battery)
  • I have had the battery die on me 2 months ago from playing the radio, but no issues since driving it around after a jump.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Sounds like the same thing that happens after you disconnect and re-connect the battery. Does it run after a restart after it dies?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to start it several times and it just kept dying. My plan is to pick up some gas and try the easiest first. If that doesn't work I'll try disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. I had this happen right before I headed into work so I'm looking to have some ideas on what to do when I get home.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Check for stored codes. That may give you a starting place. How are the connections to your battery? Free of corrosion, even on the inside of the terminals?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine does this when it sits for a week or so. I just restart it, no problems otherwise.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Mine does this when it sits for a week or so. I just restart it, no problems otherwise.
I had the exact thing happen to my 07 three months ago. Service center warned me previously that my 7-year old battery was getting weak. I replaced the truck battery and now all is well. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the correct fix. Test your battery condition.

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
13 Posts
Notes:
  • The low fuel light just came on. (which usually means i have at least 4 gallons of fuel left)
  • This is the first time I have ever had a problem with the truck. I only have 70K miles on it. I am the original owner.
  • The maintenance I have done on the truck is pretty much limited to tires, brakes and oil changes.
  • The truck is cranking over strong (probably not the battery)
  • I have had the battery die on me 2 months ago from playing the radio, but no issues since driving it around after a jump.
Thoughts?
I've mentioned this before, so I'll spare all the details, but check the inside of your throttle body. I had similar issues with my '08 one day out of nowhere. Thought I'd thought of everything to try to fix it. As part of my last ditch effort before I started throwing $$ at it for keys/sensors/pumps/etc I took the intake apart & noticed a light film of what looked like carbon residue covering the inside of the throttle body. Only by my ocd did I clean it, thinking it was too insignificant to do a thing. I was wrong. That cleaning is now routine maintenance on all my f.i. vehicles.
Hope this helps. 🤙

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine has a cold air intake (open air filter)& I cleaned it before the start of the summer.... maybe some oil from it got in there.

Reactions: ejb

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the ideas guys. It started up and is running like there was never anything wrong. Four hours after I initially tried to start it I had my wife try the spare key and it started normally. Maybe I had something on my other key (which works fine now) or maybe the problem will happen again in the future. Either way I'll post any further updates.

Reactions: Dixon Cider

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 08’ does the same thing off and on. Your onto something with the key. I would like to give you more info as to the why. when this happens, get out of your truck and use your key to lock the truck, then use the key to unlock your truck, your truck should start right up. I ve done this 8-10 times successfully. Sucks being stranded. look at the key you normally use, make sure it’s clean, mine had junk on it right where the metal meets the plastic. The issue is with the trucks Immobilization System , Which is a safety system that prevents thieves from stealing your truck. I can go into more detail how it works, but no need to. Simple solution.

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 08’ does the same thing off and on. Your onto something with the key. I would like to give you more info as to the why. when this happens, get out of your truck and use your key to lock the truck, then use the key to unlock your truck, your truck should start right up. I ve done this 8-10 times successfully. Sucks being stranded. look at the key you normally use, make sure it’s clean, mine had junk on it right where the metal meets the plastic. The issue is with the trucks Immobilization System , Which is a safety system that prevents thieves from stealing your truck. I can go into more detail how it works, but no need to. Simple solution.

Mike
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Mike
I really appreciate the information. Have the same exact problem happening, mainly when damp or rainy, to my ‘08 DC. Will be trying this solution upon the next occurrence. I’ve owned the truck for almost a year, now has 130,000 miles and I smile every time I drive it, just love my Tundra. Thank you for putting your experience out there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts