Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several years back talking to a Toyota dealership, I asked about changing my transmission fluid and filter. They told me the transmission is sealed and that the fluid and filter can’t be changed.
With my truck at 128,000 I would like to change both. Was this dealer right?
Can the transmission fluid and filter not be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
327 Posts
No they are wrong although there's a process to it. And I'm not sure there's a transmission filter. Do some searches on trans fluid change, there's a lot of them that can explain how it's done

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a complex procedure and there is a filter. Depending if you live in the salt belt or not will determine if you even want to drop the pan to get to the filter. I stopped 10 of the 12 bolts and it made for a very bad day. It's also the day my truck earned it's name...Grumpy. If you decide not to drop the pan, a double drain and fill will be advisable to get as much fluid changed as possible. And it is a must that you use the proper fluid which is the WS fluid. Don't put a fluid in it that says it is compatible with WS, you are asking for trouble. Put the fluid that it was engineered for it in it. Depending on your year, whether you have a transmission cooler and what transmission (5 or 6 speed) will determine the procedure to get the trans fluid level correct. You will also need some way to read the temperature the transmission is seeing internally. That is usually done with a scan tool of some sort that can read live data. Research will be your friend on this. Getting it right is very important with these transmissions but is doable by the do it yourselfer with basic hand tools and a scan tool.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a complex procedure and there is a filter. Depending if you live in the salt belt or not will determine if you even want to drop the pan to get to the filter. I stopped 10 of the 12 bolts and it made for a very bad day. It's also the day my truck earned it's name...Grumpy. If you decide not to drop the pan, a double drain and fill will be advisable to get as much fluid changed as possible. And it is a must that you use the proper fluid which is the WS fluid. Don't put a fluid in it that says it is compatible with WS, you are asking for trouble. Put the fluid that it was engineered for it in it. Depending on your year, whether you have a transmission cooler and what transmission (5 or 6 speed) will determine the procedure to get the trans fluid level correct. You will also need some way to read the temperature the transmission is seeing internally. That is usually done with a scan tool of some sort that can read live data. Research will be your friend on this. Getting it right is very important with these transmissions but is doable by the do it yourselfer with basic hand tools and a scan tool.

Thanks, I’ve got a scan tool and I think it will do “live reading”.
I’ve also got a transmission cooler.
I guess it’s time to ferret through these and other forums for how to change transmission fluid

I live in East Tennessee so not much rust but some.
Might skip the filter change simply based on my luck with bolts.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks, I’ve got a scan tool and I think it will do “live reading”.
I’ve also got a transmission cooler.
I guess it’s time to ferret through these and other forums for how to change transmission fluid

I live in East Tennessee so not much rust but some.
Might skip the filter change simply based on my luck with bolts.

I looked at one of your other posts and it appears that you have a 2008. Same year as mine. Look at youtube, there are a few good videos. You'll have to fashion yourself a pin to pin the thermostat open to get an accurate level when the temp gets to around 111°F. You'll have to get the truck Into check fluid mode. There is a video on that too. It essentially keeps the trucks idle at the optimal speed to check level and through the transmission indicator will tell you if the trans temp is optimal for checking the level. A fluid hand pump with a hose will be a lifesaver. Should take around two hours if you just drop the fluid. Drive it a bit and do it again and you should be golden. I went to rock auto to get the fluid as the price was really good compared to the dealer. It was Aisin WS fluid. Aisin is the manufacturer of the transmission so your good to go there. A case should get you two changes but take stock of your fluid before you do the second change. All the best and good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Safe way to change:
  • plastic hose that will fit the nipple of the pipe into the tranny cooler
  • 5 Gal bucket
  • new tranny fluid total+ 1 gal
  • disconnect input pipe from cooler and connect plastic hose to it. Other end of hose in bucket.
  • turn engine on and let tranny pump out 1/2 the total volume (someone monitor bucket)
  • turn off engine.
  • measure amount removed.
  • add equivalent new fluid back to tranny
  • start engine, foot on brake and shift thru gears. Monitor fluid until new fluid comes out.
  • turn off engine
  • measure amount removed
  • add equivalent of new fluid back to tranny and follow procedures for measuring the final level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts