Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced this type of transmission problem on the 5.7L?

I have 67,000 miles on mine. Jumped into the truck today. Noticed the check engine light and after driving out of the driveway the truck wasn't shifting correctly. It would hang in 1st gear for long periods of time at high RPMs, when I lifted off the gas, it would actually upshift. The entire time the truck felt like it had 20% power even though I had the gas pedal on the floor (trying to get back to my house going up a hill).

Strangest thing ever. Be just my luck if the tranny randomly decided to fail.

I'd pull the code but Toyota apparently didn't give us that option without a scanner! I'm a little upset at Toyota right now.....

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Get the code read. You can go to advance auto and borrow their reader and you will have your codes in what your truck is doing. Hopefully you don't get this code P2714. Bad news. Rebuild tranny is the only answer.

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
you can also "rent" the scanner for free...

toyota and all other manufacturers don't just show you the code without a scanner anymore... or at least none of my vehicles that have been obdII have "shown" me the code without a scanner.

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I had that same type description when I had codes for being too rich. My guess is that your Mass Air Flow sensor is bad or could be clogged with a leaf or something. Pull that out by removing the two screws for a quick visual, it can't hurt to look..

Post back when you figured it all out.. thx

·
Premium Member
1,477 Posts
Had the same issue when my air intake hose broke

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
What you're describing sound like "limp" mode. The ECU will do that when it detects something it thinks is serious.
The two most common causes are mice damage in the engine wiring harness and AIP failure.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
What you're describing sound like "limp" mode. The ECU will do that when it detects something it thinks is serious.
The two most common causes are mice damage in the engine wiring harness and AIP failure.
Mendosy:

Ya, beat me to it.

I'm guessing that check engine light will chow the code for bad air injection pump or stuck air injection valves.

To the OP, please keep us informed. We hate to be left hanging.

Later

KO

·
Registered
148 Posts
First I would look and see if your leaking transmission fluid from your extension housing seal/output shaft seal which is a common problem. If you Notice a leak and slinging of residual fluid from your drive shaft I would the check your transmission fluid with a Techstream, or IR laser thermometer. World Standard transmission fluid has to be checked within a specific temperature range which is 97-115 degrees. Just being a 1/2 quart low I have seen on many cars extended shift points and loss of power with check engine lights just from that! Get your code read, I'm sure many of us will help ya

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input! You guys rule. I will let you know what I find. I never assumed it might be engine related. I'll check the intake and mass flow and try to get a scanner before Toyota rapes me.

Actually, my deal has been great for the life of the truck so far.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great didn't want to see that p2714 is a trans rebuild. Read somewhere that it was a shift solenoid? Hopefully it is!!! :confused:

·
Registered
192 Posts
P2714 is a bad solenoid. Replaced it and along with a few other issuse. Now the trans shifts fine and got all my gears back.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
P2714 is a bad solenoid. Replaced it and along with a few other issuse. Now the trans shifts fine and got all my gears back.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I have had a tail shaft leak. I added fluid and cleared the code this evening. Hopefully it solves the problem.

If it doesn't, I'm curious to know if you replaced the solenoid yourself or if you had the dealer do the work?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
In limp mode the trans shift per throttle input when it's only giving part throttle to the engine the trans will hold gears as if it was running normal - holding throttle to floor will hold the gear yet the ecu is only giving part throttle input so it will stay in that gear until enough speed is built up - and we know that doesn't happen to quickly in limp mode.

·
Registered
192 Posts
It was a shift solenoid problem. I replaced it myself. Been running fine since.

Reactions: Peacemaker906

·
Registered
4 Posts
It was a shift solenoid problem. I replaced it myself. Been running fine since.

Sweet.

How did you physically locate the correct solenoid to replace? Match part numbers to the D solenoid or did you work from a diagram, and if so , where did you get it? Thanks for answering questions. It's a great help! I'd rather do it myself than pay the dealership.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just replaced all the solenoids with my old ones from my old valve body when I put the shift kit in. Its pretty easy. I think I might have the instructions some where at the house. I will look for them when I get home.

Reactions: Peacemaker906

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just replaced all the solenoids with my old ones from my old valve body when I put the shift kit in. Its pretty easy. I think I might have the instructions some where at the house. I will look for them when I get home.

Looking forward to the info. I've got the same issue with my 2007. I'm also getting P0776 (B Solenoid pressure), p0766 (D Solenoid performance), p0983 (D Solenoid circuit high Valve) and p0894 (Trans slipping). Did you have any of those as well?

How much was the shift kit, and where did you buy it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone experienced this type of transmission problem on the 5.7L?

I have 67,000 miles on mine. Jumped into the truck today. Noticed the check engine light and after driving out of the driveway the truck wasn't shifting correctly. It would hang in 1st gear for long periods of time at high RPMs, when I lifted off the gas, it would actually upshift. The entire time the truck felt like it had 20% power even though I had the gas pedal on the floor (trying to get back to my house going up a hill).

Strangest thing ever. Be just my luck if the tranny randomly decided to fail.

I'd pull the code but Toyota apparently didn't give us that option without a scanner! I'm a little upset at Toyota right now.....
My 2008 is having issues with 5 & 6 but after warm up. runs fine when cold, NO CODES..???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts