Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
It’s hard to get a good pic of the driver’s side but just comparing the amount of piston exposed relative to the flat part of the housing above it, it looks like the PS has about twice as much piston protruding.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The tensioners are hydraulic. When the engine was together and full of oil, the oil pressurizes the tensioners to keep them tight. Plus the racheting function keeps them locked from collapsing too far. Without engine oil pressure, that tensioner is able to collapse to the nearest ratchet notch. When I did this replacement on mine I also noticed what you see. When I turned the motor by hand I found it kinda cycles back and forth. Passenger side tight driver side loose. Then driver's side tight passenger side loose. As loose as that pic shows, you probably are seeing the reason that tensioner needs to be replaced. It may not be locking on the furthest ratchet notch available. Make sure chains on the gears on the right marks and you won't have any problem when it goes back together. Because of the tensioner needing to pressurize, the first start will likely be noisy. Then shut off and start it again and the tensioners will lock out and keep tight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you! I couldn’t have peace about not replacing it with the chain that loose so I’ve begun the process of taking the accessories off. If anyone has anything in particular that they’d like to see, speak up and I’ll try to get gold pictures for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also worth noting, when you do put it all back together. The wiring harness has enough memory and plugs are such that they all make sense except for the 2 on the drivers side valve cover. I believe they are cam position sensors. They are somewhat close to each other and the plugs are identical. Both pig tails come out of the harness in the same spot. If you get them backwards it will idle fine but as soon as you start to accelerate it will start to miss and shake the truck and throw codes. My tell tale was a tiny yellow paint dot on one of the plugs that matched up. Corrected, reset codes and all was happy. Just something to watch out for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for that. I tried to take a lot of pictures while disassembling since it seems that I only ever get an hour here and there to work on things. Pretty frustrating when you're dealing with something big like this. I will look for any marks that those solenoids have when I'm plugging stuff back up. I'm glad you told me about it though cause it MIGHT have caused me some anxiety if I got it all back together, idling and then tried to drive it and everything goes crazy.

I'll probably start a new thread when I get done with this to describe this whole journey that led me to this point. I actually just set out to replace valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals because of finding some oil on a couple of the plugs. It's turned into quite a bit more than I anticipated, to include loose valvetrain components laying around inside the head.

That and the fact that I've never seen/smelled any oil on the outside of the engine leads me to believe that someone had been in this top end to do something (cam tower reseal?) at some point before I got the truck.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts