Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am preparing to tow a Travel Tralier. GVWR on the trailer is 8500lbs, but I doubt I would get above 7500lbs.

My 2008 has 71k miles. I have never replaced the suspension, and I think I have done the brakes once...maybe. Extended cab, no TRD.

Given my undertaking, I am considering upgrading the suspension in the interest of towablity and the brakes for safety.

I cannot go "whole hog", but I will not cheap-out either.

I would appreciate any feedback on set-ups for both new breaks/brake system and suspension.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just buy quality / oem parts then if you're not trying to go ham on the budget. Get Centric brake parts from rockauto.com, or go with NAPA brand if you like shopping in-store (and feel like paying more for no reason), and Bilstein replacement shocks from wherever you can find them. Shouldn't cost too much and will give the piece of mind for the trip.

·
He Has Risen!
6,318 Posts
Brakes and tires are the 2 most important things on your vehicle.
And if your brakes are in good shape and the trailer has electric brakes,
then tires are by far much more important than shocks.
And I would be more concerned about tongue weight of the trailer and tires and springs, not shocks.
Springs support the load, the shocks absorb shock and limit bounce/travel.
Post your tire specs/condition and find out tongue weight of your trailer and report back.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
I can't believe you need anything with only 71k on the truck.

Get a load equalizing hitch and off you go. No need to worry about upgrading suspension.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree with @koditten - give everything a once over and go. I’ve got almost 100k on original brakes and everything still works great when towing. I upgraded my shocks a while back, but unless he stickers are worn out they should be fine. If you are looking for an excuse to upgrade, then Billstein 5100, as memtioned, would be a great choice, IMO, as they perform great, especially for the money.

Tires are also definitely worth mentioning. Check the date code on them and if they are older than 7 years, weather checked, or worn, get a new set. E rated tires aren’t necessary for occasions towing, but do provide a more stable towing experience. Either way, make sure the tires are properly aired up. Depending on the tongue weight and how much transfer u can get with the Wd hitch, I prefer abt 41+ psi in stock P rated tires and about 55 psi in E rated tires (assuming they are stock size).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts