Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So .................. my 08 has 108,000 miles and has been dealer serviced since new as Toyota recommended.

Took her in for a scheduled oil change which was accomplished without a problem. The service rep told me they found some oil leakage that indicates problems within the Steering Rack. Is this a common problem with a 14 year old truck with light to normal use?

The estimate includes OP CODES PD96 / PDTC / PD64F / FS27 / FS02

The Steering Rack replacement alone calls for 6.5 hours of labor and parts and labor is $1861.84

Rear Diff oil and labor totals out at $187.99 (0.80 hours)

Does all this sound fairly normal? I think in the Tundra world we got mechanics and drivers and I am afraid I fall fully into the DRIVER side of that.

Just looking for what you guys think of about $2500 plus tax for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
So .................. my 08 has 108,000 miles and has been dealer serviced since new as Toyota recommended.

Took her in for a scheduled oil change which was accomplished without a problem. The service rep told me they found some oil leakage that indicates problems within the Steering Rack. Is this a common problem with a 14 year old truck with light to normal use?

The estimate includes OP CODES PD96 / PDTC / PD64F / FS27 / FS02

The Steering Rack replacement alone calls for 6.5 hours of labor and parts and labor is $1861.84

Rear Diff oil and labor totals out at $187.99 (0.80 hours)

Does all this sound fairly normal? I think in the Tundra world we got mechanics and drivers and I am afraid I fall fully into the DRIVER side of that.

Just looking for what you guys think of about $2500 plus tax for this?
That's probably not far off of the price most would charge. A privately owned shop might get a better price. But yes at this age seals may start to give out. I was a mechanic for about 6 years and I've seen vehicles perfectly taken care of have these kinds of issues.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I did change my diff fluid at 100K so that seems reasonable. And I think it cost about that much. But I would not spend $1800 on a rack until it really starts to leak or give me problems.

Learn how to check the power steering fluid level, watch it, and top it off as needed. You could have an extremely small leak that looks like a big leak only because it took several years to get that way. By checking the fluid over the new few months you will be able to tell how much is really leaking and make an informed decision when and if it is time to do a rack and pinion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Next time you take it in ask them to show you where it is leaking at. Have them show you. Spray the area with some brake clean to clean it up so if you look at other times you can see how bad it actually is, along with checking your fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think that all seems reasonably priced from the dealer. Already had good reply’s, see how much it’s leaking overtime, if it’s slow fluid is pretty cheap… BTW it takes ATF Dextron II or III. Might want to try changing it, you can do the ol’ turkey baster method which is very simple and easy to do.. suck out reservoir and refill with new fluid… repeat like 3-4x or at least when it’s not longer brown but red in color. That might be why it’s leaking, it’s likely never been replaced. Everyone forgets about power steering fluid even more than brake fluid.
Differential is real easy to do yourself too. It’s literally two bolts, a drain and a fill. Drain it out after driving 15 minutes to get it warm. Fill it with any good synthetic 75W-90 ( I swear the 85 only exists for Toyota dealers to sell you there fluid). Will take about 4 qts. Done! Cost you less than $100 to do both.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts