Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there supposed to be one on the underside of the engine compartment?? I had the frame replaced a few years ago and I do not see anything that would be protecting the engine. If it is missing, how crucial is it to have it replaced? If there is one and I should get it replaced any idea on what the cost would be? Thanks

· Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2010 SR5 with 4WD, so mine has a skid plate. To be honest, I really don't need it - I'll likely never take my truck off road over boulders. However, I keep it on there in case I end up needing it.

If my truck was 2WD, I'd never tolerate having a large, cumbersome panel that had to be removed to do maintenance.

Trucks (and cars) existed for decades without those shields, and in my opinion the cooling benefits of not having one likely outweigh any benefit offered by the shield unless you regularly drive through muddy areas.

· Registered
14,312 Posts
Is there supposed to be one on the underside of the engine compartment?? I had the frame replaced a few years ago and I do not see anything that would be protecting the engine. If it is missing, how crucial is it to have it replaced? If there is one and I should get it replaced any idea on what the cost would be? Thanks
If you keep an eye out they pop up on here. Shipping is kind of $$ due to size however, so post location, maybe someone is near you with theirs sitting around. About $160ish for a new one online.

· Registered
30 Posts
I’ve always had my truck serviced at Toyota. Last summer I changed my own oil - I snapped 3 bolts on the splash shield trying to get it off to access the oil filter. Clearly Toyota didnt bother changing the filter due to the frozen bolts. I left the shield off after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts