Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Budget Build

I purchased this 2007 RCSB for less than $5K about a month ago, it had about 270,000 on it when I drove it home. I am the 4th owner of this Georgia only farm / work truck. My goal is to make it as pavement friendly as possible, so I am lowering the rear to match the stock height of the front. New OEM coil springs, New Alcan leaf springs, new Bilstein shocks, new OEM alloys, new Michelins, and a TRD sway bar will make the truck handle & ride the way I want it to.

All of the required maintenance & service have been brought up to date, so I am now focused on cleaning up the interior & exterior. I have removed the badges, PDR is scheduled for next week, the interior & exterior will be detailed and I will be replacing headlight housings with new OEM housings. After that, I'll be adding Wet Okole seat covers... I installed new FOCAL 6x9 co-ax door speakers last week, the original head unit is working fine for now.

Body armor: I found a new BLEM Ranch Hand brush bar for $275, it will be sprayed with Line-X before installation... I'll eventually get Line-X for the bed. The original chrome bumpers are in decent shape, I'll leave them as-is for now... This build is not intended to be a show truck, it's meant to be a fun, reliable daily driver / road trip kind of truck. An unassuming sleeper if you will... as for engine performance, I am considering D.A.P. Tune, but nothing more.

These are the 'before' pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It turns out that the added weight of the Ranch Hand Protestor Bar does not require lifting the front suspension, it sits perfectly level with new OEM coils and Bilstein 4600 series shocks.

I put 1200+ miles on the RCSB for Thanksgiving... not a single hick-up, and I averaged 16 to 19 MPG depending on speed. 19 MPG under 75MPH, 16 MPG above 75 MPH (sustained average highway speeds). Press your right foot to the floor while cruising @ 70 mph and the truck comes alive. Right now, the harmonic sweet-spot for this truck the way I have it set up is a little above 80 MPH.

Lane changes are exact, but the ride is still a little stiff for huge potholes, ugly expansion joints, and abrupt changes in the surface. It's not harsh, and easily controllable... the nannies did there job at least one time that I know of when I touched on the marbles on the outside edge of a downhill sweep to the left. I think the ride will soften a little bit once the new suspension is broken in.

All-in-all, I am satisfied with this old RCSB.

275K and counting.

EDIT: The more I drove it, the more I disliked how the truck handled with the heavy Ranch Hand crash bar on the front ... I removed it and sold it off. The truck is even more fun to drive without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
All cleaned up for this Winter season.

How I increased horsepower and torque on a budget.

DAP tune: 15-20 hp peak gain, and 20-30 low & mid-range power gain with 91 octane.

BAMuffler cat-back with single stock tail pipe: 3 to 10 hp, no loss in low end torque.

Drop in aFe Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter: 5 to 10 hp, but only if the exhaust is freed up.

Those 3 changes cost me about $1500 and they made a world of difference in how the engine performs... keeping the MAF clean ensures peak performance.

Future plans for my RCSB. (subject to change)

PDR the cab and smooth out all of the little dings and dents. DONE!

2. Touch up paint chips & scratches.

3. Replace the pitted windshield and tint it with Ceramic.

4. Continue cleaning and touching up the interior.

5. Install Auburn HP LSD.

6. The idea of adding long tube headers has been dropped for good...

7. Tires: No sense wasting the LTX A/T² tread on summer driving so I am contemplating moving the LTX M/S² to the BBS-FORGED wheels, and mounting the LTX A/T² on the White Winter alloys. DONE!

8. Over time I may also add an additional LED bulb, but nothing radical.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice! I’ve always wanted an RCSB. Lookin good.

Reactions: H2O MAN

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Photo Bomb:

Celebrating 4 years of ownership the end of August... some of what has transpired in pictures.

Who put that cross-member there!

Firestone to the rescue.

OEM Iron Cross step.

nFab rear bumper

Undercover Classic

OEM muffler and new drive shaft

Air bags only work when you air them up

Rear suspension kit with short Bilsteins

Custom 3-muffler exhaust from Dirty Deeds

Daptized late in life

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

24" of OEM tail pipe removed

Dirty Deeds kit installed

The shorter tail pipe needs a larger resonator to kill drone.

Snow

The oversized resonator fits within the frame rail

Peeling off the years

BBS-Forged PRO wheels and tires

Keeping my cool

Belt Molding replacement

Do not remove this piece.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As previously mentioned, my 2007 5.7L V8 already had 270,000 miles on it when I bought it, and I only have service records for the 31,000 that I have put on it since purchase. The engine has always made a good bit of light Diesel noise while it idled, but it's also idles smooth and it runs great.

The noise seemed to be associated to the timing chain and/or it's tensioners, so I tried a product called 505 CRO. It's an oil system cleaner that is supposed to clean carbon build-up out of the engine. The oil in the engine looked like Honey before I added the treatment this morning, and it was black as coal when I changed the oil and filter 20 minutes later.

Initial observation: The engine idles much quieter after using this product... I'll change the oil & filter again in 4,000 miles and post a follow up at that time.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can finally testify that the wheel/tire/suspension combination currently on my RCSB kicks ass in the turns and curves.

I had a service call in Highlands, NC this morning and instead of entering town from the South on 106, I ended up shooting East across 64 out of Franklin, NC. What a treat this was for me... steering was exact and the truck remained level and planted... the BMW following me had a tough time keeping up... what a rush.
Plant Motor vehicle Tree Road surface Traffic sign

1 - 20 of 22 Posts