Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tools required, 10mm socket, extension, ratched and trimm removal kit($5 from harbour freigth). You will notice on the pics that I put tape on part of the hood that surround the grill to avoid scratches

Received my new grill this morning from TRDSparks and decided to go ahead and installed

Since I was using a plastic trim remmover, I didn't put tape to protect the chrome.

This are the screws under the plastic cover, remove them using the 10mm socket.

Open the hood and remove the 2 screws holding the hood latch.

Now remove all 10 screws holding the grill

put them on a safe place

There are 2 clips on the side of the grill that need to be remove in order to remove the grill. Mine were so old that they just snap broken. No pics of removal. But no worries. The new grill come with new clips. Now just remover the old grill. Now remove the brackets that hold the grill

Push the tabs in on the clip to remove bracket

Your hood will look like this now.

Now remove the old plastic nuts that help hold the grill with the screws

Now install the new grill holders

Now install the new brackets. The brackets come with new holding tabs

Make sure that you clean the hood and take all the stickers on the brackets. You can see that the new brackets are smaller so they weigth less, less dirt on the hood shaves weigth also, so this mod will guarantee more MPG and faster times at the track:D:D

Now all is left is, snap the new grill in place and bolt everything back. This mod is a 1 out of 5 in difficulty. Which means that even TRD-X can do it:D:lol5::D

Final results

Before

After

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Looking good! :D

Reactions: dikkie

·
Premium Member
5,728 Posts
Great "D.I.Y" write up for the guys.

Yeah I'll be taking mine off soon for my next mod and I'm not looking forward to removing it along the hood because of those clips.

Reactions: dikkie

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
The Color Matched grill and newer version is SO much nicer. great work!!! got to love the plastic pry tools they save the day.

·
"The Closer"
10,387 Posts
that's both a wonderful mod - love that color matching on that color - as well as a great write up combined with the detailed pics, my friend..!!

very well done..!!

those tundra's can suck the money right out your wallet... :lol5:

:D dikkie :D

Reactions: 30PlusRetlaw

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Hey 30,,,, I have a new grill but don't have the new brackets. Any idea what the PNs are for the brackets,,, or did they just come as a kit with the new grill?

·
"The Antagonizer"
12,046 Posts
Awesome write up 30plus! I am looking to get the new colormatched 2010-2011 black grille surround and add a black Grillcraft SS Mesh grille in it and get a custom Toyota logo with the horns on it like this and put TUNDRA in place of the TRD like in this pic, I will have it powdercoated dark blue:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks a ton 30,,,, guess I shoulda checked it out before posting the question.:eek:

Much appreciated.!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
6,872 Posts
nice mod. I love the platinum grill. I might go for it one day. I like the color matched grill man. Thanks for the write up too.

Reactions: SilverBack4Jack

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Thanks for the info 30,,,, Just ordered mine from Sparks,,,,, they should be here in a week.:D

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ok, i did my grill conversion today and i gotta say it was pretty simple. I have an 07 CM, converted to a 2010+ grill and i did so by following the DIY on here:

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/tundra-diys/100571-2007-09-2010-12-grill-conversion.html

I also followed a post on tundra solutions about the same thing, and in their post they suggested getting the shorter rod for the hood latch. Im glad i did, otherwise the 2007 rod wouldnt fit, its too long........Anyhow, im still undecided about the grillcraft upper, so for know i'll go with the 2010 sport grill. I'll post the tundra solution link below as well as a before and after pic.......I was gonna purchase everything from trdsparks (those guys are awesome), but i was already at the dealership and wanted to see what type of deal i could get. I got the sport grill for $190, and the conversion hardware (brackets, retainers, bolts) was about the same price as trdparks with shipping.

DIY Installing an '10 grill in an '09.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

·
Registered
772 Posts
The color match grill looks WAAYYY better.
Just topped my list, Thanks guys. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts