Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 has 62000 miles and has given me absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I am considering reting a travel trailer to try camping with the family, so I have a few things to do with the truck. I will order a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, and a set of towing mirrors. I read through the owners manual and it states that I don't have to do anything with the rear gear oil or tranny fluid unless I am using the truck under "special driving conditions" which includes towing. I have never towed anything with this truck, so to this point, I haven't done any of that maintenance. Tires and brakes are good. The trip we are planning is about 225 miles each way. I have done plenty of towing boats, but never a travel trailer. Truck has the towing package with tranny cooler. Do I need to change the tranny fluid and rear gear oil prior to the trip or should I just do it after? Anything else I am missing? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
My 2006 has 62000 miles and has given me absolutely no trouble whatsoever. I am considering reting a travel trailer to try camping with the family, so I have a few things to do with the truck. I will order a Tekonsha P3 brake controller, and a set of towing mirrors. I read through the owners manual and it states that I don't have to do anything with the rear gear oil or tranny fluid unless I am using the truck under "special driving conditions" which includes towing. I have never towed anything with this truck, so to this point, I haven't done any of that maintenance. Tires and brakes are good. The trip we are planning is about 225 miles each way. I have done plenty of towing boats, but never a travel trailer. Truck has the towing package with tranny cooler. Do I need to change the tranny fluid and rear gear oil prior to the trip or should I just do it after? Anything else I am missing? Thanks in advance!
I would use the heaviest weight gear oil you can find, change it before the trip. Also, on your transmission, don't flush it, just drain and refill. It's 4quarts if I remember. I'd consider doing the same with the power steering, and obviously change out the oil and drain/refill radiator with Toyota anti freeze.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information! I am trying to come up with a total cost comparison between the modifications/maintenance required on my truck and renting a class A or class C RV. I found a very good price on a class A that will put my within a couple hundered dollars of the cost of renting a trailer and the work on the truck. Much less worry on my part if I just throw my kayaks in the back of the pick up and have my daughter follow behind me while I drive the RV. That plus the extra space we get with the RV is making it seem like a no brainer, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How big of a travel trailer are you towing? I towed a lot with my 2005 and 225 miles one way is a short trip. I wouldn't go crazy, Brake control is important. I would see if you like the experince before yoy start investing in a lot. This is what I used to tow with my 2005...

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
Unless all of your fluids are due to be changed anyway I would not worry about them. You better have a weight distribution hitch and know how to properly set it up though. That is a short trip so probably not a big deal, however, be prepared for some absolutely horrible gas mileage since you will be at or over your tow capacity (6800 pounds) by the time you get everything setup.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up changing our plans. I found a Class A RV to rent for only a couple hundred more than the trailer after I figured in the cost of the brake controller. It will still give us the camping experience as far as the time in the state park and stuff without the added stress of trailering. Our neighbor has a similar sized camper and we are talking about taking a trip with them at some point. I can see us getting a camper at some point, but right now it would really be a huge inconvenience to tear up my truck doing something stupid, so this was a good choice for us. I've pulled boats all over Florida, but never a camper. Shouldn't be too much of a difference, but for now we are going to skip it. Thanks for the tips!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts