Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual, struggling to get the brake drums off. I turned down the adjuster but it makes no difference. They don't budge at all which makes me think this tundra is different from every car I've owned since 1974. The center hub doesn't even appear to be separate from the drum? Or it's just a very tight fit. The dust pan overlaps the back of the drum so you can't "tap" with a sledge as I normally would. anything I'm missing here? thanks

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
stubborn brake drum sometimes need a good whack with a BFH...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Find the two small threaded holes on the surface of the drum. Run a spare bolt with the same type threads and it will bottom on the axle hub and seperrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, after googling for a while I found out about those threaded holes. Apparently they are 8mmx 1.25 thread size. I've picked up a few and will attempt later today. thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
My Toyota Sienna had the same problem, seems the axle hub and the drum are a tight fit and they tend to rust together. I used a little penetrating oil sparingly and let it sit for an hour or so and screwed the jack bolts in the threaded holes being careful to screw them in evenly. The thin web of the drum began to bow a bit and I was sure it would crack but it didn't. It broke loose and came off. Now I remove the drums every time I rotate the tires. I brush off the brake dust with an old paint brush to keep the brakes from squealing. Removing the drums this often I have no problems with them. One other thing-on the Sienna there is a big black round rubber plug in the web of the brake drum and it wanted to be in a certain position relative to the studs. If not the drum would not lay flat against the hub.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did spray some penetrating oil in them the other day so hopefully it will've done the job when I take a crack at it later today.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well today I went at it again and got them off successfully using the 2 8mx1.25 screws. It still took penetrating oil and a large hammer but they came off. And after all that, the brake shoes are still in perfect condition. I just sprayed some cleaner and put it back together...no more noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts