Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home tonight, thru an ever-present Atlanta road work zone....I hit a nasty bump. The engine suddenly died. I was going up a slight hill, barely rolled into the middle turn lane before it stopped. Headlights and accessories were still on. The only warning light on was the battery indicator.
I tried to restart, and nothing. Not even a faint click. Tried starting in both Park and Neutral. The battery isn't dead, everything else works fine. So I'm thinking a wire came loose? With traffic zipping by on each side, I hunted as best I could for a loose plug. Found nothing that looked out of place. Had to get it moved quick. Tow truck dropped it at a nearby shop, which is closed for the day.
Any ideas what the cause could be? My next thought was timing belt, but if that broke, wouldn't it at least attempt to turn over?
Engine has 170K miles. I've only had the truck about 5 months so I don't know any history. The shifter was extremely hard to move from park to neutral, but I figured that might be due to sitting on the incline. Years ago I had a car die in the road due to bad alternator, but it wasn't that sudden and the car's headlights dimmed/went out.
Any help appreciated. Can't sleep, stressing and wondering how bad it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To update the post....
The mechanic found a blown fuse. Replaced the fuse, took the truck for a drive, and it blew again. They traced the wires back looking for the reason. Could not find anything wrong. Replaced the fuse again, and took it for a drive down an extremely bumpy road. Fuse didn't blow again.
Frustrating because
1) I could have found the fuse myself, if it hadn't died in a spot too dangerous to work on it.
2) it could happen again. Handling and jiggling the wires as they tested could have temporarily stopped the issue.
I have no complaints with the service guy, he can't fix it when it doesn't act up again. I'll just carry a bag of fuses with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Did they tell you which fuse?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.