Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks -

First time as a user, but have 'perused' many threads before. I have a problem and can't get an answer, so am hoping the experts here can assist.

Have replaced the brakes all-around on the tundra, and was hooking up the last caliper on the passenger side. It has a slow leak from the caliper/line connection. I pulled the caliper (remanufacture as I couldn't afford the dealers $500 caliper ) and it was just the milled cone in the hole where the brake line threads. I could have sworn there were brass(?) compression rings in the driver's side, where there were no problems, and in the old caliper. Was I dreaming? Parts guys didn't have a clue and now I don't either.

If not, any thoughts on why I have the slow leak? Line? Everything looked fine and to confess I took the first caliper back and got another with no ring either.

Any help appreciated as I can't find any info anywhere on the line to caliper hookup!

Thanks and Best Regards!
- Mike S.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
There should be a brass compression washer between the line flange and the caliper.
I've seen that on old Ford's, but doesn't the tundra line just screw in the caliper kinda like an NPT fitting? I just don't wanna give the OP the wrong info, however it sounds like the truck may already be apart anyways??

you can get the brake hoses at the dealer for really cheap, sounds like either the caliper threads are mucked up or the threads on the hose are bad and a seal isn't being made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen that on old Ford's, but doesn't the tundra line just screw in the caliper kinda like an NPT fitting? I just don't wanna give the OP the wrong info, however it sounds like the truck may already be apart anyways??

you can get the brake hoses at the dealer for really cheap, sounds like either the caliper threads are mucked up or the threads on the hose are bad and a seal isn't being made.
That's a good point, here is a pic of the interior of the caliper connection. Pretty rough at best. I can't see how it would seal without something to fill in the gaps, but I certainly can't say for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's something wrong there. Does the brake line even screw into that?
Oh yes, Tightens up, but doesn't seal. Ever see anything like that before? :confused: More confusing, the driver's side, is exactly the same, but I swear (not taking it apart again!) it had a brass ring in it and sealed up like a piece of cake!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
it's a horrible pic, but it looks like there is something stuck in there. If the brake line looks good I'd say take back that caliper and make em give ya a new one, unless it just looks bad in the pic??? but it really looks like part of an old brake line is broken off in there or something.

The flared end of the brake line actually seals up against the flare inside of the caliper. if there is anything foreign in there the seal is mucked up!!

please post up what you come up with.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
All good:) but have u ever seen the inside of the caliper all mucked up like that? It looks like there is chunks missing or something stuck in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I was wrong, the Tundra does use a flared fitting instead of a banjo.
Yes, however you weren't that wrong. Took the 'second' passenger side caliper back and they didn't have another, but they called their next nearest store. They pulled one, looked inside the fitting on the caliper and sure enough there was a small brass compression ring in there. So they had given me two that were missing the ring. Not many people seem to know about this one!

DD - Exactly my comment to the seller. I won't mention the name but it is a brand name parts outfit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going to pick it up in the morning. Will snap a pic then. I wonder if it is something the repoppers add? We will see what the morning brings. I just hope the line flare didn't get screwed up while tightening it onto that chunked out section. Going to stop by the dealer to see if they have one just in case.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Going to pick it up in the morning. Will snap a pic then. I wonder if it is something the repoppers add? We will see what the morning brings. I just hope the line flare didn't get screwed up while tightening it onto that chunked out section. Going to stop by the dealer to see if they have one just in case.
my dealer can normally get lines in a day.

I've done the TSB on 1gen brakes and it was like 8 bux for a line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Ordered new line from Toyota Dealer this AM, right on $7.45 plus tax. Went to pick up third caliper...., same Sh#t! Got really fed up, ok guys these are "Wearever" parts, just so you know. Went to competitor and bought one which I should have done five days ago....

Pic of the AZ Caliper below. Oh yeah, took it back to the folks who kept implying I was nuts or incompetent. Not much to say from them....

:lol5:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's more like it!!

I've certainly learned something. Next time I take apart a brake line there I will look out for a little brass insert. Crazy!!
That makes two of us, and hopefully a few more. Interestingly, there were a couple of Toyota Techs in line at the Toyota Parts Desk and I asked them. They didn't know either. However, as the wife pointed out they probably deal only with the $500 'Golden' calipers and don't have to be concerned. :rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts