Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

First post on here and I'd like to thank everyone for the extensive knowledge I've gained from this community.

I purchased a 2003 Tundra 4.7L SR5 a few months back from Squamish, BC. They have no emissions testing up there. The previous owner had the Cat's clog up/die on him so he just cut them out and piped them. Seemed like no biggy at the time but now I'm dealing with the same problems and two separate (reputable) mechanics pointing fingers at each other.

I installed Walker Ultra Cats on both banks before getting all my other work done. After that, I had Denso Rear 02 Sensors installed on Bank 2. We were getting code 420 "Bank 1 Cat Low Efficiency". I went back to the exhaust shop and he warrantied the Bank 1 cat, no questions asked. 20 minutes of driving and the light was back on reading the same code. I went back a few weeks later and had my 3rd Bank 1 Walker Ultra Cat replaced. Took it straight to AirCare, didn't have enough KM's on the codes to get a reading...3 blocks from there.. light back on Code 0420 again...

So, my dilemma is... August 14th, my truck will be off the road if it is not solved. This is my work truck...

My main mechanic, who is very trusted and respected.. is telling me the Walker Ultras are really small and may not cut it. I'm thinking that replacing the Bank 1 Rear 02 sensors with Denso's could maybe fix it? They tested the 02's when I was getting my new leafs installed and all was good though...

So either, I put in new 02's and it solves the problem, but with my luck it will still be the Cats and I'll have to eat the $500 bucks for the Walkers and buy new ones and have them installed. Regardless, I'm willing to spend some cash to get it resolved but ideally I want to spend as little as needed and I need it to stay on the road within 10 days...

Anyone have experience with these Cat's or similar situation?

Thank you for your help.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Factory Cats

1 - 2 of 2 Posts