Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

When I turn on the AC in my 2001 Tundra, the button light stays solid for a couple seconds, then flashes. I believe the problem may be electrical, and suspect that perhaps a wire needs to be reconnected- see pictures. Is the loose wire a ground wire?
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
That’s weird. I haven’t heard of a flashing AC light ever. Only the 4wd light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Someone else will need to chime in since it’s to dark out for me to check mine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AC hasn't worked since I bought the truck a few years ago- no idea why it stopped working.

Apparently the early year Tundras may have had problems with grenading compressors- very much hoping this isn't the case.

I've had other electrical connections in the engine compartment fail- wire strands gradually pulled apart over time. So its possible that this is what happened with this wire.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
The AC hasn't worked since I bought the truck a few years ago- no idea why it stopped working.

Apparently the early year Tundras may have had problems with grenading compressors- very much hoping this isn't the case.

I've had other electrical connections in the engine compartment fail- wire strands gradually pulled apart over time. So its possible that this is what happened with this wire.
So the AC clutch won’t engage? That wire is probably related to it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have Camry and Rav4 and both had the blinking AC light and both problems were the Mag Clutch Relay under the hood. One test is to remove it, drop in on hard ground and reinstall it. When I did that, the problem stopped. I’m guessing the relay sticks when it get old. The relay is cheap, so I’d just try that first……good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My memory was jogged: the timing belt and water pump were replaced, and during that job, I'm pretty sure I remember the mechanic asking whether he could cut this wire, and that the AC wouldn't work. It already didn't work, so I gave him the ok and didn't put much thought to it.

Now though, I remember that before that, the AC button wouldn't flash, even though there was warm air. So this wire is most likely the problem with the flashing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey, thanks so much. Any recommendations on routing the wire / keeping it away from the timing belt?
I don't know about tundra compressors, but I just changed one on my daughters Accord and the ground was attached right to the top of the compressor with a screw. I would figure out where it attached to previously, and work on extending the wire (water tight connections) if needed to re-terminate it there. It probably doesn't go very far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts