Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I have a 2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 with about 93k miles on it (2UZ-FE). A while back, it was left in the garage for a week and when it was started, it was misfiring constantly. We eventually boiled it down to a timing issue in that either it skipped a tooth, or the belt stretched. I noticed while the cams were at TDC, the crank was 6 degrees before TDC. After that, I pulled the thing apart and installed the new belt, timing it to the 0 on the crank, and the marks beside the “T” on the cams. I remember it being super close to perfect, and took the time to replace the water pump too. So, here’s where the problem lies. I put it all back together, filled the system with water, and then noticed vibrating, and loss of power. It almost sounded like knocking caused premature ignition. When we first started it, it threw two codes for two cylinders... twice. Two of the same codes of misfire on 3 and 8. We then switched the ignition coils and then it stopped giving codes and ran relatively well, but with a loss of power and a lot of shaking. I pulled the passenger camshaft timing cover off to reveal that it was still in time, but off just barely. It was off soo little that it was still within the mark, but off to a side. I’m out of ideas, my father and I decided that it would be best to take it to a mechanic to diagnose so we know what we need to fix. So, dear friends, I would appreciate some help and/or advice. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dirty intake throttle plate is one of the biggest problem...... then worn plugs or coils.... Start by unplugging the battery, wipe clean the throttle plate, clean it good. Next check the pcv valve replace if not rattling (v8 has a color ID). Then check all vacuum lines if cracks, disconnect the crack one (one at the time) and tape it , plug it again for testing (replace later) connect the battery. Now start troubleshooting with “mode 6” on the scan tool.
In mode 6 you will see actual miss fire counter per cylinder
Post again to see your results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late response, at the same time my timing belt went out, so did my Ignition coils. It stopped giving me a code but I had a feeling those were it. I put the coils of the two misfiring cylinders in two cylinders in the row of the firing order to make the ECU see the misfire and to see if they were the culprit. They were. Replaced them, yesterday, I replaced the breaks and oil and she’s running great. Makes a whining sound accelerating at high rpm on the interstate but it doesn’t seem to be an engine issue. I checked the oil and it was reddish and not too black. There were no metal in the oil and it runs like new. Btw, I’m really proud of myself. This is my first vehicle and I’ve walked into most of this blind with no experience. I appreciate the work, I’m going to keep taking care of this little truck as much as I can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts