Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just joined and have a question I have been looking for a used tundra and found one really clean its a 2001 but notice the oil pressure drops almost to the L like almost no oil pressure when the motor is nice and warm and at idle then comes up once on the way I have noticed lots of the early generations drop pretty low. I currently have a 2006 and it never drops much more below the half way mark even at idle but this is not the case with other 06s I have driven they were both right at the first low mark at idle then jump up when your moving. This particular 2001 truck drives strong and no leaks or strange noises and seems to idle fine. I have also found buy search many oil pressure sensors are inaccurate in the first gens and even found a tsb about abnormally low oil pressure in 2000-2001 tundras but don't know what the fix is Toyota is researching it for me but won't get back to me until possible Monday I'm not holding my breath. . So my question is what are most of your readings on your early first gens is this normal . Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also would like to know this. Is there synthetic oil in one and regular 10w30 or 5w30 in another. Just got a test kit from BLACKSTONELABS.COM and am going to send out the oil to be tested on my 2006 with 95k miles. Supposedly the test will show if the engine has worn rings and valves or other issues, without doing a compression test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 1st gen with the 4.7 did this too. Its not worth worrying about.

Likely true enough. Thinking of the endgame. If you have a detected serious problem, will you be selling the truck or fixing by replacing the engine? If selling, you want to sell early while it's not a big issue; asking anyone else would not see the problem. If fixing you will likely just run the engine until it fails anyway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually tried to search this problem but nothing came up I did actually find a lot googling that brought me to this site weird. Anyway my conclusion is this seems to be a issue for many 4.7 tundras inconstant oil pressure readings. I had a Ivan Stewart signature edition 16 years ago and can't remember what the gauge read. My 2006 my wife drives reads right about half or just below half all the time so I was a little thrown off. Thinking of buying another one and so I thought I would ask. I tend to keep cars for a very long time I'm getting ride of my 4runner we have had since new its 17 years old. Now that the oil pressure gauge has my attention I have seen many cluster pictures on Craigslist with the truck running and warmed up and the oil pressure is lower than the first mark above the L and I know there is not a oil pump failure known with these engines so I'm pretty sure its fine. I'm going to drive 2 others today and will observe the gauge. The other 2001 on the lot dropped pretty low as well just not as low as the one I'm looking at. Thanks for the replys I will let you all know what I find.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually tried to search this problem but nothing came up I did actually find a lot googling that brought me to this site weird. Anyway my conclusion is this seems to be a issue for many 4.7 tundras inconstant oil pressure readings. I had a Ivan Stewart signature edition 16 years ago and can't remember what the gauge read. My 2006 my wife drives reads right about half or just below half all the time so I was a little thrown off. Thinking of buying another one and so I thought I would ask. I tend to keep cars for a very long time I'm getting ride of my 4runner we have had since new its 17 years old. Now that the oil pressure gauge has my attention I have seen many cluster pictures on Craigslist with the truck running and warmed up and the oil pressure is lower than the first mark above the L and I know there is not a oil pump failure known with these engines so I'm pretty sure its fine. I'm going to drive 2 others today and will observe the gauge. The other 2001 on the lot dropped pretty low as well just not as low as the one I'm looking at. Thanks for the replys I will let you all know what I find.

Also let me know if the engine sounds loud when starting. And what level the oil shows on the dipstick (dead center? A little low) when cold.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also let me know if the engine sounds loud when starting. And what level the oil shows on the dipstick (dead center? A little low) when cold.

The oil level was a bit low but topping it up made no difference in the short term and there is no noise upon starting when cold or when the pressure reading is at its lowest. I drove another today and it was the same oil level dropped below the 1/4 mark after several miles of driving .

·
Registered
285 Posts
My First Gen 4.7L did the same. Only engine problems I ever had were a starter motor and cracked exhaust manifold. Put 175K miles on that truck by the time I let it go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My First Gen 4.7L did the same. Only engine problems I ever had were a starter motor and cracked exhaust manifold. Put 175K miles on that truck by the time I let it go.

175k is just breaking the motor in. Would like to see some 500k age on these trucks including towing. Wishful thinking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Looked up discussion about SCAN GUAGE II device that can look at OBDII information and display it. Seems the oil pressure is not a part of the data set that can be monitoring in the tundra. The dashboard Meter is the only item to measure Oil pressure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I got the truck did a oil change with the proper oil and proper level and the gauge reads alot better now not dropping below the first line at idle and jumping up to half once underway so all seems good as far as oil pressure thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2000 4.7 and it has done the oil pressure drop since day 1. 165k on the clock and never an issue with actual bad oil pressure. Pretty sure it's just a crappy gauge design or the pressure sending units sucked on some of them. One of these days I'll swap out the pressure sending unit and see if it helps. If not, maybe I'll add on an aftermarket pressure gauge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.