Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the truck setup.
2017 White Tundra Platinum 4x4 model.
With smooth style color matched Toyota fender flairs.

Planning on black Fuel Trophy 18x9 +20 offset Rims no lift if I can keep from it.

From what I found on here the 285/65/18s should fit without any rubbing issues, and should be pretty close to flush with the flairs.

However I am also considering 305/60/18s. And looking for advise on these 305/60/18s. Too Wide ? Rub issues? Will they stick out past the even the flairs on a +20?
I can get these 305s without going to a load range E. Where the 285/65/18s are all load range E in that size.

I have seen a few pic's that I found of this 305 size, I think they look pretty good.

Most of the trucks I have found pic's of in my web searches have been at least slightly lifted, or were other brands etc.

I have searched around the forum a while, not finding the exact answers I am looking for, about these 305s on a stock height 4x4, with the smooth flairs and +20s.
So I thought I would just start a thread and ask?

Anyone have a similar setup?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I decided to play it safe, and went with the 285/65/18s.

Ordered 286/65/18 Toyo open country AT2s mounted on black Fuel Trophy +20 18x9 rims.

I Will post up some pic's as soon as I get them put on.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my Oem body color Toyota fender flares installed tonight.
The new Wheels and tires will hopefully show up tomorrow.

Attachments

Reactions: PNWDoug

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got my Oem body color Toyota fender flares installed tonight.

The new Wheels and tires will hopefully show up tomorrow.

Lookin good! I have the tires you’re getting, on the factory rims. I’ve run 10 ply Open Country tires on my trucks for years. Should look good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

Yea, I have the Toyo AT2s on my Land Cruiser which also has the +20 Fuel Trophy rims, and I have them on diesel Colorado both are the 4 ply 285/60/18 size.
Been pretty happy with them so far.

Only concern is the 10ply ride quality
Currently it is great with those stock 4 ply 20s on the Tundra, really was looking for a 4 ply in a 285/65/18, but it seems there is just not any 4 ply tires in that size.
I am in hopes the added 2"s of side wall flex will balance back out with being 10ply 18s vs the 4ply 20s.

That was the main reason I was thinking of going with the 4ply 305s nitto's, but the more pics I looked at of 305's, I just didn't think my OE flares would be enough to cover them on 9" +20 rims.

Hopefully the tires and wheels show up today and I can get it all put together tonight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Very curios how the wheels are going to set up under your flares. I don't want to lift my truck either, but am going with the Bilstein 6120 up front here in a couple weeks to get rid of the choppy freeway ride. Next up is going to be the exact flares you're running. Here's a pic of my rig with +20 offset. I'm also old school as I don't mind the chrome.

Also, those are 285 55r 20, Open Country extremes.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks sharp. Being a 285 with a +20 mine should be very similar in stance.

My tires and rims did arrive as expected today. Cant wait to get home tonight and get them put on.

I will post up some pic's hopefully later tonight of them actually on the Tundra.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's an excruciating wait. I hate when that happens. Could you post a pic from the side? I'd like to see how the fender flares cover the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here you go.
I will try and get some more pics in the daylight, getting late, just got done installing them and going for about a 40 min drive to make sure my TPS reprogramming took.

Was very pleasantly surprised at how good it still rides. Went down several different types of city streets and freeway surfaces, very happy with how very little ride comfort was sacrafised for the 10 ply Toyo's.

Did notice the common front fender/bumper flap rub at full lock in reverse. Gues I need to ditch those little front bumper flaps. Had to do the same thing on my Land Cruiser.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks a lot for the pics! It looks like the coverage is spot on. Can't really see what the wheels look like since it's dark. I went from the stock 18" wheels to a 10 ply 20" and could notice a pretty significant difference in ride quality. Also, the 10 plys would shake for about 10 miles (until they get warm) then the ride smooths out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
More sidewall and less wheel, generally = better ride.
Having to put these 10 ply side walls into the mix was sort of the wild card for me.

In my case, I was concerned the stiffer 10 ply side wall was really going hurt the ride, my only hope was that since I was decreasing the wheel diameter by 2"s (mine had 20" Oem rims) that it would help balance out some of the impact that the stiffer 10 ply side wall was bound to cause.
I think it worked, I was really happy with it still having a nice and smooth ride quality.

Road noise came up a bit, as was expected, since I have the same tires only in 4ply 285/60/18s on my Colorado and Land Cruiser.

Wheel flare coverage is good, about what I had expected, it was still hard to really know till you got it all together.
There is just little bit of sidewall poke, but the surface tread seems to be 100% covered.

Only thing I think I would have chosen had there been a choice would have either been a +25 or even a +30 offset had it been offered in the wheels I wanted, that would have brought 100% of the tire inside the flares including the sidewall bulge, and would likely have prevented the reverse bumper flap rub issue.
I love the look of the black fuel trophy wheels, have them same ones on my Land Cruiser, and the closest thing to them on my Colorado in black Fuel Anza 18x8s, 18x9 Trophys were not availble in the Colorados odd bolt pattern. There was no other wheel I liked as much as the trophy so 18x9 +20 was the best option.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some daylight pics.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.