Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

Just bought my first truck ever...I upsized from a RAV4 so I could pull an RV as I will be in the field all summer away from home for work. It is all a bit surreal to me! My truck is a 2007 dark grey 5.7 L double cab limited with the tow package. And my new (to me) RV is a 2002 24 foot Nash 5th wheel. Life is about to get interesting!

·
Registered
94 Posts
oh yeah, congrats and enjoy her! you have got alot of learning to do now, lol try a search for nannies, that is maybe a good place to start. If you have any questions don't be shy to ask, people here are awesome!! Welcome to the site.
Sean

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sean! I used to be a nanny, but I have a feeling this is different! Thank God for google. I appreciate all the safe towing tips anybody throws my way!
Lori

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
Umm...I don't think its a dude, dude :D
Strike 2 on my record. Everyone at first to me is a dude cause I can't see y'all!! LOL! But I did miss the "Lori" part. Besides, dudes can be nannies too! My apologies to you Lori, the dudette.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
congrats on the 2 new purchases and welcome to tt! glad to have you here. like everyone has said, if you have any questions, everyone will chime in and try their best to help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody! I will have to look up what nannies are! And am being paranoid about getting too close to my payload capacity. Any of you guys ever tow a 5th wheel?

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
For any truck, I always try to stay in the safe zone when it comes to hauling and towing. For your vehicle you've got a 1,755 lbs. max payload capacity (assuming 4x2 drive, otherwise 1,655 for 4x4). Do you already know the weight of the 5th wheel hitch, and the king pin weight?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the 4X4, so the lighter payload. The 5th wheel weighs 4,000 lbs (unloaded). The sales guy says the pin weight is 750 lbs, including the hitch, but I don't know how that is possible if you basically take 20% of the loaded trailer weight as the pin weight. If my loaded RV is around 5,000 lbs, that gives me a pin weight of 1,000 lbs, plus say 200 lbs for the hitch. Puts me at around 1,400 lbs including me and the dog. maybe I am calculating wrong...

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
I've no experience with air bag systems, so I cannot say good or bad about them. Lori, what were you pulling this trailer with before?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I have read about airbags, they just help level the load and prevent you from bottoming out and wrecking your suspension. You still have to keep the weight below capacity. Since I am getting close to my payload, I may do that. I bought the RV the day after the truck. Just a little worried that I let the sales guy snow me. I think I am OK, as long as I calculated the pin weight correctly. I would feel better if I could weigh the RV!

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have the 4X4, so the lighter payload. The 5th wheel weighs 4,000 lbs (unloaded). The sales guy says the pin weight is 750 lbs, including the hitch, but I don't know how that is possible if you basically take 20% of the loaded trailer weight as the pin weight. If my loaded RV is around 5,000 lbs, that gives me a pin weight of 1,000 lbs, plus say 200 lbs for the hitch. Puts me at around 1,400 lbs including me and the dog. maybe I am calculating wrong...

You don't count yourself and the dog in the payload weight unless you're driving from back there. ;)

·
"The Closer"
10,384 Posts
hey lori-dudette... :lol:

welcome aboard from the netherlands..!!

now show them to us..!!

the truck and the r.v., i mean..!!

i see the gentlemen took good care of you already ( and they behaved... :eek: ), i hope you will soon know if pulling the r.v. will be doable without any stress..!!

being dutch and since we don't have many fifth-wheelers here, i am intersted to see the combination..!! :yesnod:

:nopics:

:D dikkie :D

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
You don't count yourself and the dog in the payload weight unless you're driving from back there. ;)
kangaroo may be joking, but yes, you do. Lori, your vehicle has a curb weight of 5,465 lbs., and a gross weight of 7,100 lbs. The math tells us really we have a capacity of 1,635 lbs. (why Toyota rates it 1,655 lbs. IDK). That means you can put that much weight worth of passengers, canines, fill dirt, whatever, in the vehicle, to include the bed. But I like to err on the side of safety and I could be wrong all together. Found this little gem thanks to Google tonight. Maybe it'll help, or maybe it'll muck up the issue more.

"Payload specifications are reliable only if accompanied by a citation of the number of occupants and/or other figures used in the equation. From your drivetrain’s perspective, weight is weight, whether it comes in the form of sacks of potting soil in the trunk (or hatch or cargo bed) or from you and your kin. So it makes sense that if you want to carry more of one thing, you have to carry less of the other. Most often, manufacturers derive payload specs by subtracting the vehicle’s curb weight and 150 pounds apiece for two occupants from the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). But they might also calculate based on a vehicle with just the driver in it, with the maximum occupant count or something in between. What’s more, the manufacturer may not even disclose which of these variables they used.

If there’s any doubt, a more definitive approach is for you to take the difference between the vehicle’s curb weight and GVWR and make sure you don’t exceed it with the weight of all real occupants and cargo combined.
"

The following link has the specs for your particular Tundra:

2007 Toyota Tundra Limited Crew Cab Pickup 5.7L V8 4x4 6-speed Automatic 6.6 ft. Bed Features and Specs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts