Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just installed 2.5 spacers from supreme suspension. I had the two little black spacers left and wondered what they were. So I searched on here. Apparently its nothing big. So as I pull outta the bay I decide to check my 4x4 and see if it works after putting everything back together. Well now it Clanks and klunks. The passenger side actually hops up and down as I drive forward. I hear and feel grinding. But this is only in 4x4. Every week I drive in 4x4 around a parking lot to make sure its always working. Last time I had it in 4x4 was yesterday and had no issues. Now on both sides while install both half shafts came outta place. We put them back in and thought nothing of it. Any ideas?:eek:

· Premium Member
39 Posts
If the wheels are hopping up and down that means something is binding. What are the little black spacers you mentioned? Are they the diff spacers? Personally I wouldn't run any lift without them. The cv angles get pretty severe and can cause binding of both the cv joints themselves and the front diff. I'd put those in and see if it fixes. If it doesn't best bet is to take everything back off and see if the problem is still there to verify there isn't any other issues.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Yea. I just ordered a new half shaft. I should get it tomorrow. The black spacers are small. The hole for the spacer is about 1/4". Not big enough for the diff. What are the two black spacers for anyways

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
According to supreme they are for certain aftermarket shocks. I just ordered a pair of their 2" spacers today.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to supreme they are for certain aftermarket shocks. I just ordered a pair of their 2" spacers today.

I thought so, because they were kinda on the small side. I will have to say this lift has started to become one of the biggest pain in the a$$ lifts I have ever done before. Just realized that the left rear is about 1/2' lower then the right. I love my Tundra but damn I never had this may problems with a lift on my Nissan or my Taco:eek:

· Registered
3,750 Posts
I thought so, because they were kinda on the small side. I will have to say this lift has started to become one of the biggest pain in the a$$ lifts I have ever done before. Just realized that the left rear is about 1/2' lower then the right. I love my Tundra but damn I never had this may problems with a lift on my Nissan or my Taco:eek:
Lot's of trucks end up lower on the drivers side...I believe due to the weight of the gas tank. You notice it more after you lift when the bed is eye level.

Coach makes shims for the front...dont think he does blocks for the rear though.

http://www.tundratalk.net/forums/members-guild/122680-tundra-front-strut-shims.html

Reactions: TONYCANNOLI

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that brother. I just ordered it. I know its pricey but the company is a reputable one. Hopefully me driving around without diff spacers for a week or so wont do to much damage.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Diff drop is not needed with lift below 3" but I assume it wouldn't hurt.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got the Drop Kit in from Toyo Tec. Installed it. The I looked at the clearance that the Half shaft CV boot had with the lower control arm. It was less then .25". If I were to hit a pot hole or bump the boot would rub agains the control arm. I called Toyo Tec and the guy tells me that this uncommon. Mind you I have a 2.5 Spacer lift from supreme suspension. Some people on here say you need a drop kit others say you don't Well after a bit of moving things around we came to the conclusion that if you had a .50" spacer for a drop kit than that would be perfect, but Toyo Tec only makes 1" drop spacers. So I guess you really don't need spacers for a 2.5" lift. Now I'm stuck with a brand new drop kit.

· Registered
403 Posts
With all due respect, take a breath, quit ordering shit, and figure out what's happening. Leveling spacers won't cause binding, so there's obviosly something going on that needs to be addressed. buying parts when you don't even know whats wrong is a waste of $$$$. Don't get mad, just do some research or take it to someone who knows what theyre doing. good luck
BTW, CV joints can come apart inside the boot and look fine on the outside, it happened to me when I put my lift in and has to be put back together blindly. Grab the CV shaft near the boot and wigggle it to see if it feels loose, that should tell you if the shaft has come out of the joint.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh i know what the issue was, it was the halfshaft. Which fixed that issue. But after measuring the drop of the hub that is why i asked if you needed a drop spacer kit for a 2.5 kit. Some on here say yes others say no. I debunked the myth and know now it doesnt need one. Im not just ordering parts. Thats what parts changers do. Ive been working on toyotas since we recieved them overseas. Just trying to help this community out.

· Premium Member
88 Posts
Oh i know what the issue was, it was the halfshaft. Which fixed that issue. But after measuring the drop of the hub that is why i asked if you needed a drop spacer kit for a 2.5 kit. Some on here say yes others say no. I debunked the myth and know now it doesnt need one. Im not just ordering parts. Thats what parts changers do. Ive been working on toyotas since we recieved them overseas. Just trying to help this community out.

Thanks for the info! I put Pro Comp's adjustable shocks on mine. 2.5" and don't think I will be putting in the diff drop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.