Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. I'm a regular on subaruoutback.org and nasioc.com. I'm familiar with the benefits a group of enthusiasts bring to the table for others.
This is my first Toyota which was traded for an 02 WRX (tears). We still have an 08 Outback with many suspension upgrades. We needed a truck and after all the studying on the internet , magazines and interviewing people with Tundra's and Tacoma's we selected an 03 Tundra TRD Offroad extended cab with 181,000 kilometers.
My daughter and I fly to Vancouver Island on Easter Friday to pick the truck up and then drive about 1800km back to Port Edward,BC. (just below Ketchican, Ak) She just got her learners license and is really stoked about this trip. Through some pretty spectacular scenery and over some eyeballs on the road highways. The weather will make driving interesting at best.
In any case, I look forward to contributing what I can to this site.
Cheers and have a great day!

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Western PA. Post up some pictures of the trip. That's sounds like a cool trip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will do. There are some pretty snakey roads. I'm worried about the moose and bear starting to move around now.
Nice looking truck you have sir.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
How are Subarus? My wife and I have considered getting one. I do hear good things about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've had 4 and my son 1. Model years from 99 to 08. One hotrod the WRX(02) 2 Outback wagons 00 and 08 and an 06 base Impreza.
My son currently has a 99 Legacy/Outback. They've all been great vehicles. My 08 wagon I modded the suspension because I felt it too soft. Upgraded the swaybars endlinks, coils and strut/shocks.
They have full-time awd that never leaves us guessing as to how the car will handle. They are fantastic in all weather types. Reasonable on fuel. Repairs minimal. I recommend second hand, well taken care of...let someone else eat the depreciation.
I won't buy any other car unless technology makes it inexpensive to own electric. And that for nice day grocery getting only.
I've out climbed my farmer buddies Harley Davidson Spec. 4x4 with my 08 Outback. Beer might of helped a wee bit. When it snows they are a blast. My automatic turbo WRX especially. It has a different center diff than the standard WRX...clutch plates vs hydraulic I believe.
I'm ramblin now...great vehicles none the less. We recommend them.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
^^^Good to know. I will keep looking into them then and will eventually get one.

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Congrats on the Tundra. If it makes you feel better, I know of two members who had Tundras and traded em in for Subarus. Both came back wanting to trade back. One traded to the WRX and other the non-turbo model.

The second is still an active member on here. Riccnick I believe. Don't get me wrong, I know all about the boxer engine and AWD. A great car if you have no kids and are waiting for Turretto to call you for Fast and Furious 7. In the real world you want a vehicle that can do it all...tow, pack the family, load the bed, and have a little fun on the straight away and off the beaten path. That is where the Tundra fills in to the "T" :D.

Besides, why would anyone want to drive in a car named "Wrecks". That is just an accident waiting to happen. :lol5:

All kidding aside, welcome to TT and hope the Tundra fills the Subbie shoes :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the greetings. No worries I've still got a modded Outback in the garage to keep my Subaru fix in check:). Like the accents around your headlights. Is that an led package from the dealer or aftermarket?

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Halo rings in headlights and fog lights in lights from another member here dr006dr. The led drl's under headlights are oem for new south port tundras. Can get them from TRDSparks but another member here, Supakoopa9, sells them here occasionally. PM me if interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I better get the vehicle first before buying any new accessories yet. My wife would not be pleased. The upgrades to our Outback's suspension last year were just about $4000. The light upgrades have been committed to a file already for the Tundra.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
welcome and grats. I have a soft spot for subies, I used to rally with them, and just love that subie thump from the boxter! :)

weather in the Vancouver area is supposed to be good for the next week or so over the easter weekend after the dumping we just got in the mountains last week :)

·
"The Midnight Modder"
11,213 Posts
Gotta admit I like that new Toyota and Subaru collaboration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the welcomes.
Ditchhooker have you ever participated in Targa Newfoundland? I'm taking Rogers Pass back, I'm assuming the Duffy Lake road behind Pemberton would be a mess.
A Toyota/Subaru combination would be a BRZ in the driveway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts