Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided i like the HD hoss wheels.. I'm torn between 18's or 20's.. I really like the look of 20's with 35's.. Does anyone have any input or advise (pros/cons) to help me out.. I will be putting in a 3/1 to avoid the rubbage..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
807 Posts
18's ,you have more rubber to play with offroading and 20's less rubber so more of a harsher ride. Oh and 20's tires cost way more than 18's. Myself personally, I like more rubber and less rim.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I agree with what monkeyking said.

Go with 18's. Less moment of inertia, which means better acceleration, better stopping. Less chance of damaging your wheels. Ride is better. (Handling is theoretically better with 20's, but this assumes that roads are in excellent shape, such as race tracks) Oh, and wheels and tires are also cheaper (It still puzzles me why 20's tires are so much more expensive than 18's since they use less rubber to produce them) Better selection of tires. Did I leave anything out?

Some prefer the look of 20's. I personally prefer the look of smaller wheels with more rubber (more off-roadish look).

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Registered
594 Posts
20s for sure. Not like you're keeping the 32s on, so with 35s you got plenty of rubber to make up for the extra rim. Even with my 33s it still rides smooth as hell & looks great. And in my opinion if you're already dumping the money on aftermarket wheels & tires, who cares about slight cost savings on 20 vs 18 tires. :lol5:

Reactions: signaltwenty

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would I be able to go with 35's on 20's with a 30 offset without doin any cutting?.. I read the whole " leveled on 35's " post to try to get some info on that but I didn't come out with much

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Buddy of mine at a custom shop in Houston told me when I was having the same debate to consider most manufacturers are trending towards larger wheel diameters especially 20's, therefore they offer more size options in a 20" vs. 18". There are still a lot of options for 18's, but it does make sense that those options are shrinking as time progresses.

Reactions: Taylo1

·
Registered
594 Posts
There's more than a "slight" cost difference between 18's and 20's. :yesnod:

I sold a used set of 20" wheels wrapped in 33" tires, and it almost fully funded my next purchase of new 18" wheels wrapped in 35" tires :yesnod:
Maaan 35" Trail Grapplers are $350 for 18s & $385 for 20s. What's and extra $35 a pop when you're already making the investment? :D

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
It's personal preference. I had the debate myself but went with 18's since 20's when looking at tires and wheels would have cost a few hundred dollars more, couldn't justify the cost difference.

Reactions: sanchez

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Maaan 35" Trail Grapplers are $350 for 18s & $385 for 20s. What's and extra $35 a pop when you're already making the investment? :D
That's more of an extreme example.

Here's another example (DiscountTireDirect)
BFG AT
275/65/18: $240
275/55/20: $402

These two tires are just about the same size (actualy 18's are .2 inch taller).

Did you also see the price difference in wheels?

·
Registered
497 Posts
For the stock trucks 18 looks perfect. I could see going bigger with a lift.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That's more of an extreme example.

Here's another example (DiscountTireDirect)
BFG AT
275/65/18: $240
275/55/20: $402

These two tires are just about the same size (actualy 18's are .2 inch taller).

Did you also see the price difference in wheels?
Those are only 32s though. Wheels are more for 20s sure, but not really much considering the total investment. Don't get me wrong here... Nothing against 18s. I like them both. Just saying I wouldn't be put off by 20s over price if that's what you like when making such a large investment.

Likes 35s so lets assume popular tire such as the Nittos. Total package for 35s on 18s $2170 & 35s on 20s $2520. I rather suck up the extra $350 to be 100%% happy than spend over $2k to not get what I wanted.

To each their own though & I love you guys anyway. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I went with 20 in xd misfits with zero offset and 295_55_20 nitto trail grappler m/t. Have a 3/1 level kit. If I could do it over again I would of went with 305_55_20. But I am very happy with the set up, the tires stick out of the fenderwell just a little bit, wich is what I was after. IMO 20 inch all day over 18

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went through 3 sets of 20s then switched to 18s on 35s. Just bought 20s and 35s again today. These trucks look so much better on the 20s if you're running 35", or anything higher than a 3" lift/level. That's just my personal opinion

Reactions: sanchez
1 - 20 of 43 Posts