Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

So I'm about 24 hours into my new '18 Platinum. It's great all around.

But of course there is one mystery that has already appeared ~ but it's more likely that I'm just getting old.

The new Multi-Information Display (or cluster) . . . for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reset the Fuel Mileage Average and the Trip Odomoter setting. The manual says that pressing the center button on the right directional pad will reset . . . but no changes on my truck. I keep thinking it must be automated somehow . . . meaning the 'Tank Average' won't reset until it senses a refill, but that would be really annoying. And I wonder if the display trip info is reset by the pin dial?

Anyway, if anyone out there with an '18 has had any luck reseting the fuel mileage and trip info, please let this helpless dude know.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
...for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reset the Fuel Mileage Average and the Trip Odomoter setting. The manual says that pressing the center button on the right directional pad will reset . . . but no changes on my truck...
I don't got no 2018, but I don't see why I can't "help you"...and waste time on my computer. :D

"right directional pad"...that would the area with all the buttons with arrows on them. "Center button"...that would be the one in the middle. Did you try pressing the button longer?...the 2018s do so much stuff, their CPU might just be getting bogged down.

"...meaning the 'Tank Average' won't reset until it senses a refill,..."you are probably onto something here. I mean, the truck being an inanimate object, has no way of knowing how many gallons you've put in the tank, unless it's working between two known reference points, i.e. full to the filler neck and when the fuel light comes on. Or...even though it is inanimate, Toyota might have designed it so that when the fuel tank sending unit reverses direction toward full a certain distance, the computer will THEN recalculate the "average tank mileage".

Your truck probably just thinks you're goofy, wanting to reset the tank average when you haven't refilled the tank. :D

Reactions: borntostun

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi all.

So I'm about 24 hours into my new '18 Platinum. It's great all around.

But of course there is one mystery that has already appeared ~ but it's more likely that I'm just getting old.

The new Multi-Information Display (or cluster) . . . for the life of me, I can't figure out how to reset the Fuel Mileage Average and the Trip Odomoter setting. The manual says that pressing the center button on the right directional pad will reset . . . but no changes on my truck. I keep thinking it must be automated somehow . . . meaning the 'Tank Average' won't reset until it senses a refill, but that would be really annoying. And I wonder if the display trip info is reset by the pin dial?

Anyway, if anyone out there with an '18 has had any luck reseting the fuel mileage and trip info, please let this helpless dude know.

Thanks very much.
For the 2018 models everything is done online. You have to send your truck a tweet #TripA in the message

·
Registered
317 Posts
For fuel, there are 3 readings: Total average, Tank average, and Trip average.
You should be able to reset the Total Average. Tank average resets on its own when you fill up, and Trip average is from when the engine is started.

You can also reset Average speed and Total time.

So there doesn’t seem to be a way to reset your Trip other than turning the engine off and back on.

(Page 93-94 owners manual)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For fuel, there are 3 readings: Total average, Tank average, and Trip average.
You should be able to reset the Total Average. Tank average resets on its own when you fill up, and Trip average is from when the engine is started.

You can also reset Average speed and Total time.

So there doesn’t seem to be a way to reset your Trip other than turning the engine off and back on.

(Page 93-94 owners manual)
There's 3 readings?! I've officially lost it . . . how do I switch from from tank average?

Gas on the right, brake on the left, right? ;). Geez . . .

·
Registered
317 Posts
borntostun said:
There's 3 readings?! I've officially lost it . . . how do I switch from from tank average?
I tried playing around with it last night, and I couldn't figure it out either. I can see tank average MPG on the MID, but can't see how show Total Average, or how to reset it.
Maybe that's more of a feature in other Toyota vehicles that have similar displays and have more display options?
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
For the 2018 models everything is done online. You have to send your truck a tweet #TripA in the message
Do you know if this works on 1st Gen tundras?

Reactions: riccnick

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried playing around with it last night, and I couldn't figure it out either. I can see tank average MPG on the MID, but can't see how show Total Average, or how to reset it.
Maybe that's more of a feature in other Toyota vehicles that have similar displays and have more display options?
:dunno:
Ya, I've kinda given up . . . lol. Playing around more with the Eco on the system . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.