Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! 2 of the last 3 mornings, my 2014 Tundra 5.7 1794 4x4 didn't want to go into reverse or drive on a very cold morning start. I started the truck, threw it in reverse, and when I hit the gas, the RPM's went up but the tranny wasn't engaged. I shifted it to Drive and the same thing happenned. Then, I shifted to park, waited about 10 seconds, went back to reverse and it worked/drove fine. I just got home from a 450 mile drive home and everything worked perfectly on my drive home. I usually park the truck in a heated garage (65-70 degrees) but the last few days, I was in Missouri and it was in the 20's in th emorning. Brrrr...

Thoughts on what may be going on? Suggestions? Shall I plan on a new tranny in the near future? Truck has 185K miles on it and I drive it A LOT. Hoping it's not new tranny time! That would stink. I love my truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personal experience on 2006 Tundra. There's a wire cable that engages gear selector handle to transmission. Replacement is about $400

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey all! 2 of the last 3 mornings, my 2014 Tundra 5.7 1794 4x4 didn't want to go into reverse or drive on a very cold morning start. I started the truck, threw it in reverse, and when I hit the gas, the RPM's went up but the tranny wasn't engaged. I shifted it to Drive and the same thing happenned. Then, I shifted to park, waited about 10 seconds, went back to reverse and it worked/drove fine. I just got home from a 450 mile drive home and everything worked perfectly on my drive home. I usually park the truck in a heated garage (65-70 degrees) but the last few days, I was in Missouri and it was in the 20's in th emorning. Brrrr...

Thoughts on what may be going on? Suggestions? Shall I plan on a new tranny in the near future? Truck has 185K miles on it and I drive it A LOT. Hoping it's not new tranny time! That would stink. I love my truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine does the same thing, started at about 10k miles. The dealer stated that that was normal. Acted like I was crazy and didn’t know what the hell I was talking about. But for $100.00 they could keep it overnight to check it in the morning. Since it is an intermittent problem, it may take a week to happen and they probably wouldn’t notice it when it did happen.

·
Registered
2016 Tundra TRD Off-road
35 Posts
I have a 2016 I bought 3 years ago with 30K miles. It is sluggish engaging if you start it up on a cold day and throw it into gear immediately. But if you count to 5, it works perfectly. Im inclined to think I will just count to 5 and let it warm up for a bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 I bought 3 years ago with 30K miles. It is sluggish engaging if you start it up on a cold day and throw it into gear immediately. But if you count to 5, it works perfectly. Im inclined to think I will just count to 5 and let it warm up for a bit.
I had the same issue with a 2007 Tundra. Truck would start and just go no where when it was in gear, Then it would grab and take off. So I waited the typical 5 to 10 sec to go. Had trouble with Toyota trying to fix it. so I told Toyota to kiss off and went to a transmission shop I trusted. He found out that there was a bulletin about a high pressure value that would leak down after the truck was shut off. I think at time it was about 400.00. Never had an issue again. You might have they check it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts