Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my hunch and measurements paid off. They almost fit without any grinding, but I don't think the wheel was centered. So I took about 1/8 to a 1/4" off in two small areas and they clear by about 1/16" and I can see daylight on the other side.

Here are the wheels. Same as Jbroas, but 8" wide and different offset. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pcw-1069-6855
Summit has free shipping and handling right now too. I ordered one to test fit last week and just ordered the other an hour ago. It should be here Friday, just in time to get the 30" cheater slicks mounted and hit the strip.

The wheels weigh 18lbs and the slicks weigh 27lbs according to my bathroom scale. My current street wheel with tire setup is already very light and weigh 60lbs each. So this drag setup is ultralight. Probably about 40lbs lighter than a stock wheel and tire. I still plan to get some 17x5 front runners made and run a 17x4.5 M&H which should weigh in at 35lbs wheel and tire. Just may take a little time for me to make that happen.

Here are some pics for now. I will get more with tires on and mounted on the truck.

They sit flush with my fender flares, but the tire will most likely stick out about 2".

Before grinding.

That's about all the grinding needed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Those wheels are great looking. Wish they offered a 16 X 10 with a +50mm offset. Only problem you will have with running a 8" wide rim, is that the cheater slicks are gonna cupcake the wheel big time. Me and BRX run the 16 X 8 Lexus rim(+55mm offset) and its pretty bad. Causes the wheel to dome and not use all its contact area. The 16 X 10 procomp will have the tire in about the same location offset wise as the 16x8 and the tire will fit alot better. But will require a little more grinding to the caliper.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
We're finally going somewhere. True, a wider wheel would have been ideal with +50 offset but this seems to be the best option out there for now. And for $240 its a steal. No more caliper removal is a blessing! I would grind it a bit more just in case...

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I figure if you guys can run 11.8s on a 8" wide wheel then it will get the job done.

Hoosier makes a 295/50/16. I wonder if we could convinve them to make a slightly taller tire that would fit better on the wheel. For now I will go with what has worked for you guys. $240 for the wheels and $240 for the tires was a bargain.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess I didn't think about the movement of the caliper, so I had to take a little more off than before. Still not too much.

I decided to get the one mounted up just to test fit and see how it looks. Like I figured it sticks out about 2'', but I think it looks bad ass with those huge tires. If only I head my matching front runners for the ultimate drag pack. The wheel and tire weigh 42lbs. That's less than one of my 22'' tires by itself. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Looks BadAss!
Just having those Cheater Slicks on, cupcake or not, you'll have better times. These will grip way better than any tire you had on the tracks, a huge burnout isn't needed. I ran mine with 14psi.. Make sure you clean and paint those raw calipers black asap.. when is your next race?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Stayed better than I thought. One thing for sure is those are going to hook. I run 16-18psi in mine. Makes track days so much funner when you know its going to hook.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a pretty crappy day and it didn't get much better at the track. Had a nitrous solenoid get stuck open, luckily it wasn't plumbed to my intake yet, screwed up my bottle and couple other things. I took it all as a sign to stay away from the nitrous for now.

I got to the track and made a pass, full street trim, tools in the cab, 7/8 tank of gas and 30psi in the Nittos. [email protected] 2.0 60ft, peddling off the line.

So I swapped the slicks on and pretty much ran the same time and 60 ft while spinning. I tried several passes with 15-20 psi in the tires and all were 12.8-12.9 @109. 15PSI was a little scary as the rear end was walking a lot.

I don't know if the tires need to be broke in more or what, but I pretty much ran the same time on my street radials at full PSI. They really don't seem to prep much at this track either. I don't know?

Best slip

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Did you make sure both tires were spinning when doing the burnout? Those slicks are hard to spin with an open diff.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Just ordered 2 wheels from Autoplicity for $179.64 shipped! They should be here in time to track test them next week :D

My truck always spins just the right side tire with all the nannies off. The fact that Toyota didn't offer a true locker in a pickup is so dumb.
Can't wait for Auburn to release their Locker/LSD. It will make our lives so much easier lol.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nice find! I should have shopped around. I could have saved $60.

Do you already have tires? I am seriously thinking about trying the 295/50/16 Hoosier radial. These bias ply slicks are a little scary to me. I had the hoosiers on my SRT6 and they were very sticky and stable. Down side is they are only 28" tall and most likely will cause a shift into 5th gear.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Nice find! I should have shopped around. I could have saved $60.

Do you already have tires? I am seriously thinking about trying the 295/50/16 Hoosier radial. These bias ply slicks are a little scary to me. I had the hoosiers on my SRT6 and they were very sticky and stable. Down side is they are only 28" tall and most likely will cause a shift into 5th gear.
I'm gonna remount my cheater slicks on them. I'm probably going to shift into 5th now no matter what...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I'm wondering if you had the 16x10 wheels, would that fatter foot print have given you more grip?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts