Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well this is my first build log. I bought it new in August 2013. Prior to the past week. All I have done to the truck was remove chrome steps, add toolbox, front receiver hitch, and weather techs.

Last Saturday I installed 6112's on the top setting, 5100's rear, and +3 shackles.

Here's my measurements

Before
Lf. 35.875
Rf. 36
Lr. 38.75
Rr 38.75

Immediately after
Lf. 38.75
Rf. 39
Rl 40.5
Rr 40.75

Monday I had 275/65r20 Cooper ST Maxx tires installed on some black TSS wheels I picked up off another member. Did my first alignment Tuesday and found out I need UCAs since my caster is way low. Tires are very close to rubbing both mud flaps but they haven't touched them yet.

Today I built and installed my front diff drop and carrier bearing drops

Here it is now. Very dirty due to our weather lately and it's hunting season so I'm on dirt roads a lot.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. The knowledge on this forum is amazing.

I'll post after measurements soon.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My master mechanic pulled my mudflaps off a while back since after the UCA swap I was getting some rubbing. He also bent my skid plate for me.

Well I finally dipped all my emblems this afternoon. Came out pretty good for my first try I guess. My 7 year old had a blast pealing it off. That stuff is awesome. It was dark when I finished up I'll get better pics tomorrow.

Installed the Nox Lux blackout kit on my wife's 4Runner also. I would go that route over dipping. Took less than 10 minutes but it was 20 times the price. We will see which one lasts longer.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up some used hatchie bottom seat covers off the Houston Craigslist. I had them ship them to me. Well they smelled horrible when I got them like they've been in a damp shed for a year. My wife washed them and we let them dry for a few days. Smelled great until they were closed up in the truck all day then they now smell like old shoes that you tried to wash but didn't quite get it all out. I ordered some wetsuit shampoo and de stinker so I pulled them out already. They fit great even though they were not for the front bench seats. I also don't have power seats so the hole on the side is weird but hey for $150 I can't complain. Unless I can't get the smell out.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well I ended up not loving the camo seats. I got them cleaned up with wetsuit shampoo and deodorizer, but didn't love the camo next to all the grey interior. So I sold them and ordered some Clazzios.

I ended up getting the leather inserts and all dark grey, and I think it's a great color for the interior.

Install was not the easiest but not terrible. Took a few hours. The headrests are a pain since they are so tight. The big section of the rear seat back was by far the hardest. I removed the small back seat to make things easier back there.

I'm sure a lot of the wrinkles will get better after a little while. It's parked in the sun during the day at work and it's been in the 90's.

I think the seats look great, but I see a couple things I don't like.
The center console/middle seat cover looks great as a seat but crappy as a console I'll probably take it off since no one ever sits there.
And on the back seat around the arm rest is loose at the bottom and loose in the indent where the armrest goes into. I will probably try to get some Velcro back there to help tighten it up and look better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice looking Build.. I have the 13 TSS edition.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added a used set of oem tow mirrors I picked up off another member. I may have to try the vht niteshades paint on the markers though.

When I pulled my new vintage camper home a while back I knew I needed some hopefully the camper will be done this month as well.

On a side note the lights work on a tundra grade with power mirrors in case anyone was wondering. I knew they worked on the sr5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a HF 3 ton steel floor jack last week (on sale for $79.99) and it barely got my front tires off the ground made it by 1/4" or so. Today I fixed that problem. I measured the jack pad and designed a solid extension that slides over the jack pad and is held in place with the lip on the jack pad. I didn't like how the extensions I have seen pretty much just sit on the pad maybe engage the "teeth" on the pad. Any weird side load, I see it collapsing.

I did some cad work getting the design and sizes nailed down, then grabbed a scrap piece of aluminum at the shop and went to work. Fits the pad perfectly, won't fall off and actually takes some finesse to get it on and off being as there is only .010" clearance. I haven't lifted the truck with it yet but it will give me right at 3" more height.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
sweet build.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I finished up a mod that should have been done years ago. I moved the trailer plug into the bumper.

I made a template of the hole in the factory bracket. Cut the plastic with a utility knife (worked ok but I would try something else next time), used my jig saw for the metal, that worked ok, it scratched the outside of the plastic a couple times. I would use a die grinder next time. I just don't have a big enough compressor anymore.

I also finished up my multi mount winch wiring. There is a 150amp circuit breaker under the hood that I use to kill the power unless I need it.

I drilled and tapped mounting holes on the side of my front receiver hitch.

For the rear plug I made an aluminum bracket that mounts to the factory trailer plug bracket mount. I need to powdercoat it black but it will be fine for now.

Now I need to make or buy a hitch extension to use with the winch for the front and make some supports for my toolbox so I can keep it in there without the box bending.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I bought a HF 3 ton steel floor jack last week (on sale for $79.99) and it barely got my front tires off the ground made it by 1/4" or so. Today I fixed that problem. I measured the jack pad and designed a solid extension that slides over the jack pad and is held in place with the lip on the jack pad. I didn't like how the extensions I have seen pretty much just sit on the pad maybe engage the "teeth" on the pad. Any weird side load, I see it collapsing.

I did some cad work getting the design and sizes nailed down, then grabbed a scrap piece of aluminum at the shop and went to work. Fits the pad perfectly, won't fall off and actually takes some finesse to get it on and off being as there is only .010" clearance. I haven't lifted the truck with it yet but it will give me right at 3" more height.

I like that, I have that same jack. Great work.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts