Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

10 years on the original battery

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  Ltscrash 
#1 ·
After 10 years the original battery in my '08 Crewmax is starting to go. Not a bad run, but I don't want to chance it with an OEM replacement. Ordered an Odyssey to replace it that should be here tomorrow. Hope it lives up to the hype...and the price!

Reactions: Mr. Creosote
#2 ·
That is a long run on the original battery. Odyssey makes a terrific battery and should not let you down.

#4 ·
I was having weak starts at 7 years.
Turned out to just need the battery terminals cleaned, but decided to change the battery at the same time rather than in an emergency pinch.

#12 ·
Heat and cold kills batteries, and so does leaving your lights on, and running a bunch of electronic gadgets, amps, stereos, etc. We've had several weeks, to months of 100 degree plus temps and below zero temps and have not had very many battery issues...at least none caused by the temperatures, just plain worn out batteries.

#14 ·
Cooler/cold temperatures, but not extreme are terrific for your battery. That is why batteries (expensive LiPo) are in cold storage prior to shipping.
The problem, is that various chemsitries are effected in a temperature band. Too cold, degraded performance, too hot, degraded performance and damage to the battery itself.

#9 ·
Actually, the stock battery from my 2014 lasted about 2.75 years. That's about the longest I can remember ever having one last in any vehicle, stock or replacement. Now I just change them out before they hit 3 years even if they seem fine. I put those jump packs in both vehicles too.

#11 ·
Not sure if the new owner has replaced it yet, but when I sold my 08 tundra a couple months ago it still had the original battery in it as well. Actually had to jump start it once this past winter but it was below zero and I was playing around with that stupid Toyota software and didn't bother starting the truck. Jumped it that one time and it never gave any trouble after that.

I remember several people early on just as bad as people buying new wheels and tires as soon as they leave the dealer were replacing the original batteries LOL. Nothing was wrong with the OEM battery so I figured there was no point in spending $200+ to replace something that wasn't broken.

#16 ·
I live in Charleston, SC. So heat and humidity are kinda our thing.

#17 ·
Don't know what you're doing there then to get 10 years out of a battery. That's exceptional life and well above the norm for most users in hot climates. But that's good for you as batteries certainly have spiked in price in recent years.

I have heard guys who are religious with battery maintainers (optimate, tender, etc.) getting additional life out of a battery but most people will not plug in their daily driver every time they use it.

Best,
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.