Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want to ease your mind, collect a sample and send it to Blackstone. It doesn't cost much, less than the extra oil change would cost to do it every 5k, and after one sample you would have a good idea if it is wearing well or not. :D
Thanks guys for the sound advice. I feel pretty comfortable now that I'm not ruining my truck...

If I were interested in having the oil tested, how would I go about doing so? Just speak to my dealer?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It is so easy to change the oil on the 4.6 just do it yourself at 5K and take it in at 10K. I suspect that with 8 quarts of synthetic oil 10K miles between changes would cause no harm but it makes me feel better doing it every 5K miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do a bunch of research on synthetic oil, you'll see people that will regularly go 15,000 miles before changing the oil, with just a filter change and top-off at around 7500 miles. The oil isn't the problem, it's the filter getting clogged. Full synthetic oil doesn't break down like regular oil, so get that notion of 5000 mile changes out of your head. Synthetic oil is expensive, so don't waste money on changing it too often. A good oil filter, however, is worth its weight in gold and is, in my opinion, more important than the oil. It's often the one thing that is overlooked, though. I did, too, for a while.

In my previous truck, I switched to Mobil 1 (with a Mobil 1 oil filter) at the first oil change and regularly changed it at 8000-9000 miles and had zero engine issues when I traded it in on my Tundra. It had 135,000 miles on it and it was a POS GMC (4.8L V8). I even used it to haul my pop-up camper, probably 7000-8000 pounds total weight being hauled when fully loaded. I pushed it to its limit at times. Heck, just normal driving in SE Texas is hard on a lot of engines, but I didn't worry about changing my oil any sooner.

I don't think 10,000 miles is too long between changes with full synthetic, but I wouldn't push it much beyond that before getting it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The engineers also say 100k is good on transmissions if you aren't towing. No lubricant is working well at 100k. Also don't be surprised if they tell you they won't change it at 100k because it has been in there so long and new fluid might screw up your tranny.
I couldnt agree more. Believing these engineers is a fools game..Tranny fluid SHOULD be changed every 60K miles. NO fluid goes 100K miles, None...
Th

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have my dealer change the oil in my 2002 4.7 every 5,000, and they change the oil in my 2007 5.7 every 4 to 5 thousand miles. 10,000 miles is way to many miles between changes... oil & filters are cheap, engines are expensive.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I couldnt agree more. Believing these engineers is a fools game..Tranny fluid SHOULD be changed every 60K miles. NO fluid goes 100K miles, None...
Th
Same for lifetime coolant . IF you value your heater core ( and the work to replace it ) have the cooling system flushed and coolant replaced at say 90-100k.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts