Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,869 Posts
There seems to be much confusion when it comes to oil change frequency and Toyota has certainly gone out of there way to make things more complicated than it should be. There are separate maintenance schedules based on your engine and whether or not you are using synthetic. Based on my model year (2010) this is the schedules available:

Any Flex Fuel Engine:
Regardless of whether you are using dino oil or synthetic, Toyota says to change your oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. If you are using E85 more than 50% of the time then you should change it every 3 months or 2500 miles.

V6 and 5.7 Engines:
These engines fall under schedule A and Toyota does NOT list an alternative 'synthetic oil' schedule for these engines. The schedule is set at 6 months or 5000 miles. There is absolutely no mention of being able to go 10,000 miles with either of these engines if using synthetic oil.

4.6 Engine:
This engine falls under schedule B and Toyota does NOT list a non-synthetic option for this engine, meaning that it is expected that you run synthetic oil in this engine. The schedule is set at 12 months or 10,000 miles.

I understand that many people do not adhere to these schedules, however, I am just calling out exactly what is required by Toyota.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Tundra/pdf/2010_Tundra_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10TundraFFV/pdf/2010TundraWMGFFV.pdf

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would never let my truck go 10,000 between oil changes.i have never got mine over 5000 before I changed the oil.id be afraid to go more then 5000 on an oil change

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've got the 5.7 liter engine, not flex fuel. Brought the truck into the dealer where I bought the truck.
There's seems to be some confusion on this. Looks like I'd better get more info concerning my engine. Up til now I've changed my own oil, however, I've got 2 years of free service with the package when I bought the Tundra last Feb.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK - I just checked the owner's manual. The truck comes with 0-20w oil, the dealer said it is synthetic oil. The recommended interval is 10,000 miles or 12 months. If the light weight oil isn't available, then 5-20w mineral oil can be used, but for 5,000 mile intervals.

Since I've only got three months to go till the 12 months, I will bring it in again then for the change.

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
I would never let my truck go 10,000 between oil changes.i have never got mine over 5000 before I changed the oil.id be afraid to go more then 5000 on an oil change
I have Used Oil Analysis stating that 7500 would work fine. It depends on the environment.

When Toyota started doing "free" maintenance with the purchase, that is when oil change intervals went up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Okslim I think you are right about that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
back in the days synthetic manufactures said higher oil change intervals But the cars manf said no will void your warranty - now they say ok and it saves you money in the long run. This is what I have for my Tundra. 10,000 mile oil changes works for me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
10k is fine. I never understand why people worry so much about it. If the engineers at Toyota say its okay, I am inclined to believe them. Stuck with the 10k interval on my 4Runner, it was nice to only do 4 oil changes in the time I owned it. Even with towing, dusty conditions and traveling with things on the roof rack for much of the time driving, I never had a bad thing to report from Blackstone (did an analysis for all four changes).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
10k is fine. I never understand why people worry so much about it. If the engineers at Toyota say its okay, I am inclined to believe them. Stuck with the 10k interval on my 4Runner, it was nice to only do 4 oil changes in the time I owned it. Even with towing, dusty conditions and traveling with things on the roof rack for much of the time driving, I never had a bad thing to report from Blackstone (did an analysis for all four changes).
:)

·
"Resident Liberal"
12,237 Posts
The engineers also say 100k is good on transmissions if you aren't towing. No lubricant is working well at 100k. Also don't be surprised if they tell you they won't change it at 100k because it has been in there so long and new fluid might screw up your tranny.

Reactions: Mike Mc

·
Registered
758 Posts
The engineers also say 100k is good on transmissions if you aren't towing. No lubricant is working well at 100k. Also don't be surprised if they tell you they won't change it at 100k because it has been in there so long and new fluid might screw up your tranny.
That is an extreme of a different type, but I will tell you this. When my wife's previous car (2006 Corolla) hit 100k I did the tranny fluid that was only rated for 60k (same world standard fluid they rate for 100k now, and she had this car before we were together and I was not part of any of the maintenance until we moved in together). Never had an issue. Car was eventually crashed at 140k and never had the slightest problem. That being said, my Tundra will have fresh tranny fluid at 50k intervals regardless. Her new Matrix will get new fluid at 100k like the engineers recommend without hesitation.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I feel better! Thanks.... :)

I'm just worried its to accelerate the wear and tear. I'm probably just paranoid... Oh well, I'm due in 800 miles....
If you want to ease your mind, collect a sample and send it to Blackstone. It doesn't cost much, less than the extra oil change would cost to do it every 5k, and after one sample you would have a good idea if it is wearing well or not. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im on 10k intervals as well along with my service contract.
Full syn on the contract. Its kinda nice not to be changing oil
too soon.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
There seems to be much confusion when it comes to oil change frequency and Toyota has certainly gone out of there way to make things more complicated than it should be. There are separate maintenance schedules based on your engine and whether or not you are using synthetic. Based on my model year (2010) this is the schedules available:

Any Flex Fuel Engine:
Regardless of whether you are using dino oil or synthetic, Toyota says to change your oil every 6 months or 5000 miles. If you are using E85 more than 50% of the time then you should change it every 3 months or 2500 miles.

V6 and 5.7 Engines:
These engines fall under schedule A and Toyota does NOT list an alternative 'synthetic oil' schedule for these engines. The schedule is set at 6 months or 5000 miles. There is absolutely no mention of being able to go 10,000 miles with either of these engines if using synthetic oil.

4.6 Engine:
This engine falls under schedule B and Toyota does NOT list a non-synthetic option for this engine, meaning that it is expected that you run synthetic oil in this engine. The schedule is set at 12 months or 10,000 miles.

I understand that many people do not adhere to these schedules, however, I am just calling out exactly what is required by Toyota.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10Tundra/pdf/2010_Tundra_WMG_0W20_lr.pdf

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-10TundraFFV/pdf/2010TundraWMGFFV.pdf

Based on the year of YOUR truck you are right, 2012 is a different story

1 - 20 of 31 Posts