Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '08 5.7L (not flex fuel) burns about one quart of 5W-20 Mobil 1 full synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. So, halfway between oil changes, I'll pour the extra half quart of oil from the last oil change (7.5 quarts with a new oil filter) into the engine and call it done. Anyone else notice the engine burning oil, or do I have a potential issue? Also, I do not have any visible leaks on the exterior of the engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1 qt every 5000 miles is nothing to be worried about. depending how often you change your oil your only adding a quart between oil changes or if you change your oil every 5k, you dont really have to worry about adding a quart of oil (if that makes sense). the higher the mileage the more oil your engine will burn and I wouldn't be concerned unless your adding a quart every thousand miles

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
107k on the clock. I'll change and inspect the old spark plugs at 120k as suggested in the maintenance manual.

Reactions: BlackTundra52

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1 qt every 5000 miles is nothing to be worried about. depending how often you change your oil your only adding a quart between oil changes or if you change your oil every 5k, you dont really have to worry about adding a quart of oil (if that makes sense). the higher the mileage the more oil your engine will burn and I wouldn't be concerned unless your adding a quart every thousand miles
Thanks Matt.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I have 92k on a 2011. I don't use a quart in 5k. I have added oil once, but losing oil is always a concern. My oil is not black either when I change it. Be cautious.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Are you sure its actually losing a quart? Maybe you aren't on level surface when checking after change/during refill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts