Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to Tundratalk. I have a 2014 Double Cab and am looking to have a 3" coilover system installed. Is it ok to add a 1/2" shim on top of the coilover to gain extra 1/2" to clear 305/65R18 on Method 18x9 +25? Plan on replacing the UCA's also and adding entended rear shocks. That would give me 3 1/2" on the front and 1 1/2" on the rear with new blocks. I'd end up with 3/4" of rake.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Hi all. New to Tundratalk. I have a 2014 Double Cab and am looking to have a 3" coilover system installed. Is it ok to add a 1/2" shim on top of the coilover to gain extra 1/2" to clear 305/65R18 on Method 18x9 +25? Plan on replacing the UCA's also and adding entended rear shocks. That would give me 3 1/2" on the front and 1 1/2" on the rear with new blocks. I'd end up with 3/4" of rake.
Thanks
Where did you get the idea that you needed that much lift to "clear" the tires? 1" of lift would be plenty. Will you be offroading?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
1/2 shim will give you 1" of lift putting you at 4". you would need new uca, but still i think 4" is too much without cutrting the frame.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought the extra height would give extra clearance for the width of the tire and require less trimming. I talked to Skyjacker and Toytec and they both don't approve of the shims. especially if your already at the 3" mark. I think I've decided to go with the Toytec Boss 3" coilovers with 1 1/2" shackles (BUL-207AH0). But, may take one last look at OME with either 612 or 614.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I thought the extra height would give extra clearance for the width of the tire and require less trimming.
I know that is the common belief, but it makes no sense. If you don't want it to rub when you hit bumps then you are going to need to trim regardless. Your tires aren't very big though, and you will only need minor trimming.

Unless you want the lift for other reasons you'd be better off with 1.5-2". Better suspension performance, lower CG, don't need UCAs. Bilstein 5100s at the middle setting are the cheapest "good" way to get there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.