Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
No.. Chevy yo!! They don't have problems, just ask Billy bob & Jamielynn down yonder

·
F&@k Y'all, I'm from Texas
13,742 Posts
I thought the NTSA (or whoever it was) found that all the sudden acceleration claims were BS.

Reactions: Mickey

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
That fine is Huge, but then again 30,000 Tundra's say at $40,000 each equals $1,200,000,000.00.
Didn't they sell 88,000 Tundras one year?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I thought the NTSA (or whoever it was) found that all the sudden acceleration claims were BS.
I thought so too, but I guess it was because they hid it or some stuff like that. Gm will be next, but as mentioned in curious who that money goes to..

·
Registered
278 Posts
There someone out there always wanting someone else money.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Did some research, contrary to my previous statement, there was a highly publicized 2009 unintended acceleration crash in a Toyota that killed a California Highway Patrol officer and three family members. Even so, the problem wasn't with the car. Many articles in the financial news this AM saying they expect GM's fine to be 2 billion or more.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
Did some research, contrary to my previous statement, there was a highly publicized 2009 unintended acceleration crash in a Toyota that killed a California Highway Patrol officer and three family members. Even so, the problem wasn't with the car. Many articles in the financial news this AM saying they expect GM's fine to be 2 billion or more.
That was the cop who didn't know enough to put the vehicle in neutral. He wins the Darwin award.

Lurn to read

·
Registered
808 Posts
Right. And $1.2 billion should sting enough that Toyota execs will think long and hard before they make the same mistake in the future. It also sends a message industry wide that corporations are responsible for making decisions that might potentially hurt people that use their product.

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of businesses that think, "a sucker is born every minute."

I heard Toyota has something like 60 billion in cash on its books. It will probably sting but not all that much. Reports refer to it as a 'deferred prosecution agreement.' Realistically, Toyota just wants to make it all go away. DOJ wants to close it out in a way that they can say they won and did not waste taxpayer money on a bullshit investigation. They know that if they file criminal charges and go to court to try to put somebody in jail over this the government will lose. They also know that whether they will win or lose, Toyota recognizes that the company or any of its officers getting prosecuted will be a PR nightmare. So they offer Toyota the opportunity to make it all go away for 1.2 billion. Toyota gets to move on and put it behind them, and the government gets to receive a nice check, and close the case with a check mark in the win column.

This was just the two parties coming to an agreement on how to walk away without one losing face or the other losing any more.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I got something in the mail about getting money from a class action suit:

Our records tell us that you are the current or previous owner or lessee of a Toyota or Lexus vehicle equipped with an Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS).

Class action lawsuits relating to these vehicles are in the process of being settled, subject to Court approval. As part of the proposed Settlement, you may be eligible for:

• A cash payment of $62.50 or
• Free installation of a brake override system (BOS)
• A customer support program

To file a claim for the cash payment, if eligible, and to learn more about your potential benefits, visit:

Lurn to read
I already got a check for $125 in the mail last Friday for this matter. It'll help pay for the broken steering column shifter parts they so poorly designed.

·
Premium Member
10,631 Posts
I already got a check for $125 in the mail last Friday for this matter. It'll help pay for the broken steering column shifter parts they so poorly designed.
I didn't bother because I didn't think 06 and prior models were affected. I didn't get recalled to have my pedal trimmed. Did you?

Lurn to read

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am curious to see how uncle Sam is going to deal with Government Motors. Will we fine them to get our money back? You know the money we lost bailing that sorry ass company out....

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Yea.. I love how the die hards always say "we paid that back!!" Then I reply.. You paid the interest back, not the principle. Lol

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
I thought so too, but I guess it was because they hid it or some stuff like that. Gm will be next, but as mentioned in curious who that money goes to..

In short, siezures go into a general fund that various enforcement agencies contribute to, and can draw back out of to fund certain operating expenses. Google USDOJ Asset Forfeiture Program if you are really all that interested.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I am curious to see how uncle Sam is going to deal with Government Motors. Will we fine them to get our money back? You know the money we lost bailing that sorry ass company out....
I think a lot of people are interested to see how the investigation of GM plays out. Given how many Years GM hid their ignition problems and how many people Died one would think the fine GM will get will be on par with Toyota's. Then again, so far the GM story has not been getting the same volume of press that the Toyota situation did. Big surprise there.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts