Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Its the eve of me possibly buying my first 08' Tundra. Did some research on it, and didn't find much of anything wrong. Everyone loves em! Then I went a little deeper and found TONS AND TONS of complaints. From gas pedals sticking (some posts) to the ever more popular...air intake valves, and "rumble strip" transmission problems.
The truck Im looking to buy is a 08' 5.7 IForce limited max cab. 82,000. I've also read that the 4x4 BANGS when you put it in 4 wheel. I've noticed that MOST of the posts are coming from Midwest and West Coast. (I live in CT) Is this something I should be really concerned about? Is there something specific I can do on my test drive test it? For example, I read somewhere that the transmission is so bad, they said and I quote: "just drive up a steep hill and you will know what a POS you bought!" Its just this year truck is the only one I found with these problems. Any concerns or tips would be very helpful at this point.
Also, do you guys know of a website where I can check to see if the recalls have been addressed on this truck. People say just call the dealership, but it's 1AM and I was looking to pass some time :) Thanks again!

-Chris

·
Registered
717 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the Tundra, every once in awhile theres a bad one but gas pedal sticking? Never had that happen Toyota did a indepth study on it, honestly for that it was people not hooking their floor mats in and them getting caught on the pedals. 4x4 will engage properly if you follow the steps, the drive train on the Tundra's are one of the best, trust me I've driven F-Series, Silverados and Rams. There was a service bulletin for a "bump from behind" feeling but that wasn't too big of a deal if I remember right.

Also you said Midwest and West Coast? There a bunch of babies over there so we don't really listen to them :lol5:

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
probably read the complaints on the nhtsa.gov website. Some are actually funny.

"TL* THE CONTACT OWNS A 2012 TOYOTA TUNDRA. THE CONTACT STATED THAT THE DRIVER SEAT FRAME FRACTURED. THE VEHICLE WAS TAKEN TO THE DEALER WHO DIAGNOSED THAT THE FRAME NEEDED TO BE REPLACED. THE FAILURE RECURRED. THE MANUFACTURER WAS NOTIFIED BUT OFFERED NO ASSISTANCE. THE VEHICLE WAS NOT REPAIRED. THE FAILURE AND CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 7,000. UPDATED 10/11/12*LJ UPDATED 10/17/12"

I think he intentionally left out the part where the cracking frame caused him to drop his super sized fries.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
I have 195k miles on my 07 and my tranny is strong as new!!!!!!!! I've only replaced my alt & starter!! Every vehicle has bad apples but u will not find that being the majority on here!! As for driving uphill to find out what the tranny is like, go for it and u will be very happy!!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
115k on my 08... total of 1 problem I've had so far. That issue then resulted in a recall for said issue.

I've owned the truck since 66 miles on the odometer, 45 of those I personally put on test driving it.

Secondly I've lifted and lowered my truck and still the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

·
Banned
5,396 Posts
Damn you put a lotta miles on your shit triple d's :yikes:

My '07 has 47k miles. Driveshaft replaced under warranty, water pump replaced under warranty. Other than that, I replaced the battery.

The AIP that you've heard about is warrantied for 150k miles.

Stuck accelerator is a myth. ..stupid people can't drive and/or allowed their floormat to cover their gas pedal (stupid people shouldn't drive).

POS transmission? :lol: it's a frikkin japanese aisin trans, it's one of the best of the best. Dudes are slapping on TRD superchargers on their tundras, good for 504hp 550tq, and they ain't hurting their factory transmissions. :dunno:

Get off them ford sites man, it will poison your brain.
I drive in a uphill circle all day long!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
873 Posts
I've had an '08 since it had 12 miles on it. And I just paid it off...thank you Toyota for 60 month 0% interest...

Only two problems in all that time. One was the 4wd getting stuck in high-some part got stuck and was replaced if I remember right. The other is the bump from behind which is super rare and I really only feel it now when I do a right hand turn going down a hill at slow speed.

Also, my antenna broke off, but I think that was my fault.

Other than that no issues at all...

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
most of us test drive for about 3 or 4 miles then ask the sales rep to wrap it up so a 45 mile test drive, you know he put some thought and consideration into it
First testdrive was kinda like why not... wasn't even shopping for myself. Second time I was more serious but the salesman kept playing games so I walked away. Third and longest was bc I had time to waste while they assessed my trade in right before the deal was finalized.

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had my '08 since new. I've yet to even replace the wipers. lol

Reactions: Powertechn2

·
Registered
753 Posts
most of us test drive for about 3 or 4 miles then ask the sales rep to wrap it up so a 45 mile test drive, you know he put some thought and consideration into it
I took a couple of test drives in various Tundras (DCs 6.5 & 8' beds) before buying (and some other brands as well). One Tundra test drive involved multiple road surfaces (smooth blacktop highway, concrete highway, loose stone road, unmaintained back road and some gently sloping off road grass & dirt). Sure glad the Tundras I test drove had more than a couple gallons of gas in them since I put on more than a few miles. :D

Funny how the Toyota salespeople seemed A LOT more WILLING and PATIENT when it came to longer than a 10 minute test drive. :D

Prod720, if one googles just about any make & model pickup truck one will find problems. Maybe the Tundra is not absolutely perfect but it comes a LOT closer to perfection than some other pickup truck options on the market. (ie, "Ford F150 Ecoboost problems", cough, cough). I have only had my Tundra for about a year and a half so far. In that time I have had ZERO problems with it and more than 1/2 of my total miles have been towing and hauling cargo. Doing research before buying a new (to you) vehicle is prudent on your part. After all, you are the one paying for the vehicle and you are the one who has to live with your decision so it is up to you to make an informed decision.

·
Spooge Guzzler
6,318 Posts
OP, if you're not a ford troll and actually just interested in and concerned with owning a used, 2nd gen tundra,
The best site to join is the one you're on right now.
The best people to ask about owner satisfaction and what problems are experienced in real life, are the people that actually own them.
Also, I would suggest joining a site like this for input and insight, at least a few weeks before purchase,.........not the night before a test drive and potential purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
OP, if you're not a ford troll and actually just interested in and concerned with owning a used, 2nd gen tundra,
The best site to join is the one you're on right now.
The best people to ask about owner satisfaction and what problems are experienced in real life, are the people that actually own them.
Also, I would suggest joining a site like this for input and insight, at least a few weeks before purchase,.........not the night before a test drive and potential purchase.
That actually makes sense. Are you ok?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you should stay away from these POS's. Ton's of problems, why even bother asking. You've obviously done your research and don't need any further info. Just move on to something that you find is better (according to your research).

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I think that if you read the forums on the internet for any car, truck, boat, plane, tire or most anything else it will scare you off from buying. If 20 people out of millions post what a POS their product is everyone will see it rather than the millions that have had good or normal experiences and never say anything. The postings give you things to think about and look at but you have to be skeptical of all negative posts.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts