Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Started noticing this rattling as it’s gotten colder. It appears to surge in idle, not quite constant. There’s also a similar tick/rattle/something that’s very faint when under light acceleration.

Thoughts on what this may be?

·
Registered
763 Posts
The motor at start up fluctuates the idle based on what the computer are sensing. It is much more noticeable in cold weather. Once the motor is warm the idle should be stable unless the A/C compressor kicks in as it does when the defroster is on. Just as it does when the A/C in on in the summer. The idle adjust as the A/C compressor kicks in and out.
As for the other sound, does it go away once it has run for a while? If so it could be a cold belt that is stiff and is not happy running through the pulleys until it gets a little heat into it. That is the sound I am hearing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’m hearing more of a belt or pulley noise than a rattle or tick. When was the last time the serpentine belt was replaced? I had pretty much the same thing so I replaced the belt first and if it still started squealing, then I’d replace the idler and tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Tundra
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing in that area has been replaced recently. I can do new pillows, tensioner, and belt.

something I noted today is that the ticking that present under acceleration goes away if I switch into neutral.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts