Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!
I've had my truck for about 2 weeks now and I LOVE it! (of course!) I was going through the engine compartment and had a couple of questions.

1. Went to parts store and wanted to get some spare fuses but they said they had to "special order" them? Are they really that hard to find? (Im talking about the small ones no bigger than 30 amps.) I have my old ones from Ford that are small, but when I tried them the plastic was hitting the side and not making a "strong connection"

2. I looked all over the engine and couldn't find the transmission dip stick! I heard rumors that they don't put them in on newer cars anymore. You have to buy a special "stick", but even then how would you check the fluid in the transmission? Saw a video on you tube on changing the fluid...do you guys recommend this? Didn't seem that hard.

3.I also was looking at "changing" the grill on the front? I don't know if this is possible, but I didn't realize it was plastic until I opened the hood! lol, anyone did any mods that look sweet?

4.Also, did you guys see any under seat storage bins? I've seen them for the shorter cabs, but haven't seen anything for the max cabs. I have some tow chains and slings that I keep in the truck, and don't like the grease to get in the carpet! lol

5. ANNNNND Finally, the LAST question. When I was under the hood I saw the antifreeze was RED! did some research, but I didn't find much about changing it? can I change it to say Prestone, or a household name? Or is that antifreeze made for that radiator? Thanks for stickin' with this post! lol

-Chris

·
Registered
607 Posts
1. pull a fuse and take it into AutoZone or the like. They have them. - edit - did not see the underhood part. DOn't know about them. I was referring to the ones in the passenger compartment.
2. No tranny dipstick.
3. Check out Ebay - I got a chrome (plastic) overlay for mine for about 50.00
4. NOt sure about the underseat storage for CM. I have one in my double cab.
5. I believe there is name brand antifreeze that is compatible with the pink. Ask your local parts place.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
welcome:)

1) you parts store may not stock them yet, they are a new style mini fuse, my parts store had to order them in as well, but now stock them. (trailer controller fuse was blown when last controller was cut out)

2) correct, not trans dipstick on these, there is a special procedure to check.

3)Lots of grills around, have a lookie!

4) I have a DC so I can't help here

5) It comes with Toyota long life coolant, you can change brands, but it will also be the red stuff, needs to have a certain formulation to run in our trucks. the specifics are in the owners manual. (Low silicate i beleive is the main thing - Just flushed mine when I changed the water pump)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I thought it was going to be easy. You guys ever change the trans. fluid? Seems easy. Oh, and whats "nannies"

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks guys, I thought it was going to be easy. You guys ever change the trans. fluid? Seems easy. Oh, and whats "nannies"
I recently flushed my entire transmission system with 12 quarts of new fluid via the trans cooler. If you search, you will find a good write up on the process.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Toyota says the ATF is "lifetime". It's not super easy to change nor check level, but not rocket science other. There are a few threads about ATF here.

Underseat storage: I know there are some for DC's, would be surprised if not for CM's. Du-Ha comes to mind. I've been wanting one for a while, just haven't felt like paying for one.

·
Registered
830 Posts
No disagreement, but it is longer life than the older 30k stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts