Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a 07 5.7L with 118k. I replaced the starter on my truck 3 weeks ago (TYC - Starter Motor - Part Number: 1-19045), after I got the single click on key turn with no previous warnings. I had the battery load tested first, it passed. Boy is it a bastard of a job on this starter but I did it and it started first try. Trucks starts perfect every time for 3 weeks straight with multiple starts a day afterwards.

Drive to work to pick up my laptop, go to leave and when I turn the key I only a whirring noise which sounds like a cordless drill running under my hood. What is this noise? I have never heard this noise before, plenty of power but maybe something is not engaging?

I can only think that maybe it is the starter spinning but the gear is not engaging? Any thoughts? Has my new starter gone bad?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have determined that the sound is definitely coming from the starter. It sounds to be spinning but not engaging. Guess I have to dive back in there to determine why it will not engage. Is it normal for a brand new (not reman) starter to crap out in 3 weeks? This is absolutely the last job I would want to have to do again.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
That SUCKS...Sounds like the right diagnosis though. In the old days we would tap on the starter with a hammer, wrench, tire iron while someone cranked it to get it to engage,

·
Registered
965 Posts
That's no fun... :( Sounds like the starter solenoid is bad; just as you've determined, even though the starter motor spins, the solenoid isn't engaging the armature that forces the starter assembly in to the flywheel. It could be as simple as a loose jumper wire (that small wire that goes from the main body of the starter to the smaller solenoid that sits on top of it. Or perhaps the solenoid is bad or the linkage is somehow jammed. Give it a good tap to try and get you home. I'd probably pull it an inspect it, but if you are able to get eyes or hands on that small jumper wire, confirm that it is tight on both ends.

I put a TYC starter in my wife car and it has been behaving very well for the last year, even in sub zero temperatures. Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, no I haven't had time to mess with it. It is still sitting in my work parking lot, hoping to have it towed home today however the outside temps are not favorable with -15 wind chills the next two days.

Will update once I learn something, Thank you all

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
In the product description, second line from the bottom says "CTO CN", which, if I am not mistaken, means "County of origin - China"
Unfortunately, this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Spend a few extra bucks and get a Denso starter that will actually last for longer than several days, especially considering what a pain in the a$$ the job of replacing it is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the product description, second line from the bottom says "CTO CN", which, if I am not mistaken, means "County of origin - China"
Unfortunately, this is a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Spend a few extra bucks and get a Denso starter that will actually last for longer than several days, especially considering what a pain in the a$$ the job of replacing it is.

Damnit, I thought I did buy the good one as I found reference to it on here. Anyway, I had it towed home a week ago and have been working on it the last two nights since we had a break in the weather. Turn the key and the starter spins, with an occasionaly grind noise like it is almost engaging but just barely. All connections appear to be in place, so I tried to remove it entirely (again) and this time I cannot get the top bolt holding the starter loose. If you have done this job, you know you can only get a wrench in there if you don't remove the exhaust manifold, and unless you have tiny hands can't get much leverage on the wrench. Even using a flare nut wrench, I am to the point where the bolt is beginning to round. I sprayed it multiple times and nothing. I don't want to mess with removing the manifold and the weather is about to get bad again. I may be at the end of my "dealing with this f*%& starter" rope and will probably take it to a shop.

At least I will be able to recoup my $ on the shit starter I bought as it has a warranty.

Will let you know what happens...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought another starter and had my truck towed to a shop. Let them do the replacement, and then returned the malfunctioning starter. I couldn't get the bad starter out because the bolt was starting to strip, so I let a shop do it.
Has worked fine ever since.
Not the first time I have had new parts be faulty. I've had new calipers not have piston boots seated which will not allow the brakes to bleed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.