Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have 2 issues......
1. Need to know if anyone has had trouble with the range on the remote start/keyless entry system? I can't go more than about 30 feet on level ground. It doesn't pick up the signal. :mad: Its works great at about 100 feet away if I'm about 30 feet in the air(balcony). Any ideas or possible fixes?

2. Does anyone have the factory remote start? If so has anyone found a way to bypass the stupid autoshut down switch? Its totally retarted to start a truck, let it get nice and warm/cold for 10 min, then as soon as you go to get in, the damn thing shuts off as soon as you unlock it. Its a waste!! :mad: Not to mention the torture its putting my starter through. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just have 2 issues......
1. Need to know if anyone has had trouble with the range on the remote start/keyless entry system? I can't go more than about 30 feet on level ground. It doesn't pick up the signal. :mad: Its works great at about 100 feet away if I'm about 30 feet in the air(balcony). Any ideas or possible fixes?

2. Does anyone have the factory remote start? If so has anyone found a way to bypass the stupid autoshut down switch? Its totally retarted to start a truck, let it get nice and warm/cold for 10 min, then as soon as you go to get in, the damn thing shuts off as soon as you unlock it. Its a waste!! :mad: Not to mention the torture its putting my starter through. Any help would be great. Thanks
No fixes here
Just the same complaints
I did find i get more range from behind the truck
almost double the range
I hope some one has a fix for these problems

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
The only fix I can think of at this time is to walk outside, get in the truck start it, and let it warm up, or just drive it. It seems crude but it works everytime.

The first time I read about the "remote start" option and the shut down issues I thought well there's no point in spending money on that if it shuts off when you unlock the truck. Although I see the reason behind that though. You have to put the key in and turn it to run to unlock the steering column, and out of pure normality most people would continue past the run position and attempt to start the vehicle again, even though its already running, thus as a result destroying the starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No fixes, but check out your owners manual..It says that the keyless entry is made to function best within 3ft of the truck ...No I am not kidding, it really says that on p.20. I have read that the remote start is only designed for 80ft (I believe the description says that from Toyota). I have seen where people have extended the antenna to get better range, but I think you have to dig around in the steering column. That's why the range is better up high or from the back, the antenna is under the dash behind the steering wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OEM Remote Starter is a waste of money!!!

:confused: I couldn't believe it when the truck shut off when you tried to get in. I even wrote Toyota about it but got the "cold" shoulder... I had a Dodge Ram before and put in a $79 remote starter myself that worked and had many more features than Toyota's OEM starter. They say it is so someone can't steal it. What bull. If you push on the break, it dies. It should be at the very least programable for your situation. Otherwise it is a very simple (cheap) remote starter that they charge a premium price. :(

Does anyone know how to rip it out or disable it so I can put a real remote starter in. It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
remote

I bought an aftermarket remote and it has none of the issues. It does not turn off (unless you hit the brake before keying) and the range is decent. Not sure of the brand, but good ones are out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts