Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 tundra 5.7 club cab limited. I just put the ready lift 3+1 leveling kit, 35 inch nitto trail grapplers, and an auburn posi unit in the rear. My gas mileage went from 12.7 to 7.3. I knew my mileage would drop a mile or two but does anyone have any ideas how i lost 5mpg with 35s instead of 33s?

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Wow..... I know it's not just the tires. The lift gets you also. Sorry I still get 20mpg when I stay out of it. Currently at 19mpg will be filling up tomorrow. Constantly get over 400 miles till empty.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What is the exact tire size, before and after? There are tire calculators on the web which can tell you the difference in diameter, which you can use to "correct" your distance traveled/speed/mpg.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I believe if you went from teeny tiny tires to 35's - might be part of the problem (saying the calculation of the mpg is off). The lift does affect it too. I had a stock '10 DC and would get 15 avg (13 city and 18/19 hwy). My '12 CM also has the RL 3/1 and gets 14 avg (12/13 city and 17/18 hwy). I have 20" rims and I think the tires are 275/55/20. I would like to get bigger tires at some point and I'm pretty certain I can go to 33/34 without a problem. I also know the bigger tires will affect my fuel consumption.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I took a quick look; "my" tire is 255/70R18, which is 629 revolutions per mile. If you went to a 305/70R18, that is close to 35" diameter (34.8"), and that is 579 revolutions per mile. A 1.086 multiplier; 60mph on the speedo is really 65.2mph, 100miles traveled on the odo is really 109miles, etc.

But that would only boost mpg from 7.3 to 7.9.

Another thought: is this from three tanks, or just one tank? I'd be concerned even on just one tank, though, as that's a pretty drastic drop.

Tire Calculator

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
When I put 35's on a previous truck my 32 mile commute to work went down to 28 miles. It's your tires.

Reactions: NIE_Cal

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for posting the APP. That's exactly what I've been looking for. It's nice to see proof of MPG. I'm always amazed at people that say they get close to 20 in a Tundra. They must drive all down hill with the wind at their back! Even then I don't think I could get that high. Mine barely gets 13 and is all stock.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Is that a free app? Can't find it. I have Droid DNA using google play.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
How heavy are your 35's? Rotational mass makes a HUGE difference in fuel mileage.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thanks for posting the APP. That's exactly what I've been looking for. It's nice to see proof of MPG. I'm always amazed at people that say they get close to 20 in a Tundra. They must drive all down hill with the wind at their back! Even then I don't think I could get that high. Mine barely gets 13 and is all stock.
Mines getting 16.5 AVG'd hand calculated with a 3/1, 33x12.5x20's, stereo system, rhino lined, bedcover, skid plates.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I once managed 20 mpg on a 30 mile stretch of highway that is flat. No passing, keep it at no more than 55 and a very light touch on the gas. It's not fun nor practical, but it can be done.

I averaged 17.5 on a 2,000 mile road trip a couple years a ago. That was highway combined with city driving in LA and San Francisco. Doing something similar this year, but I just put on new tires so we'll see.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
What are you running your air pressure at? If everyone that had issues with gas mileage would just check their air pressure first, you might find it's too low. My Tundra was set at 32 psi after this last service, and the mileage went to shit. Increased it to 38 and now my mileage is great.

Tire Rack has a good info on where you need to run your tires. I drive on the highway a lot, so I set 6 psi above recommended and it's never failed me on my mileage.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=147

1 - 20 of 27 Posts