Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. So my power steering pulley is getting whiny. It’s not when I steer, but just at higher rpm. I wondered if it was even the PS but the noise is distinctly coming from there when I pop the hood.

I’m thinking it’s a bearing possibly?Can I replace just the pulley/bearing or do I need to replace the whole unit? I’m having trouble finding the answer to this and the parts themselves as well. All help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,258 Posts
Unless the pulley is somehow damaged, this will not cause your problem. The pump is ultimately what gives up.

Check to see if it has proper fluid levels. If so, you can pull the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand see if it's not one of the others or the belt causing your issues.

Lastly, you can try a drain and flush of the PS fluid. Then obviously pump replacement if all else fails.

Get yourself a mechanics stethoscope. They help a lot with issues like this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m going to have to dig deeper and figure out the true culprit. It didn’t really make sense to me that the power steering pulley squeals at higher rpm vs. when turning the wheel but I swear with my ear in there, that’s what it was. Stethoscope next and really figure it out. Thanks for all the feedback!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check around the whole serpentine belt for partial parallel splits. Mine had some 4-6 inches on the outer and inner edge of the belt. You would hear noise at idle but not so much at higher rpm. Replaced the belt and noise went away immediately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts