Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '07 5.7 limited crew cab. I use to take it to the chain oil places to have the oil changed. Im going to start doing it myself. What oil/oil filter do yall recommend? It's got about 120k. I live in Alabama if that matters for the type of oil.

Thanks, Ray

·
Registered
59 Posts
The oil that's recommended in the owners manual is always a safe bet. Brand doesn't matter, match the specs. As for the filter, I like Napa Gold and/or Wix (same thing, different box). Just don't use Fram and you'll likely be good.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I recommend choosing one brand of oil and sticking with it. I use Mobil One synthetic in my 2011 5.7 liter. Use the viscosity the manufacturer recommends (likely 5W-30). I also use 'Mobil 5000' which is now semi-synthetic, in other vehicles. High mileage oil isn't really necessary, but if using it now I would stay with it.

Filters: Genuine Toyota, Wix, Bosch... Avoid Fram! (Avoid the eco-friendly as they contain plastic rather than metal internals.). Cheap priced filters are built cheap.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use Mobil 1 0W-20 advanced fuel economy in my 15 5.7 CM. It will get you about 1-2 mpg improvement over conventional or semi synthetic oils. I change it every 10, 000 miles (I do 90% highway miles). If you go to Walmart, they have the Mobil 1 for about $23 for 5 quarts and they are now selling the Toyota filters. I have had 4 Tundra's, with combined miles at about 430,000 miles, no oil related issues ever. In fact, my Tundra's always go the full 10,000 miles without the addition of any oil and will be almost 1 quart low at oil change time.

I have used the Fram Tough Guard filters for years up until the last oil change. I have not had issues, but I also don't think they are awesome. I pulled a Toyota filter and a Fram TG out of the box last time in the store, and I think the Toyota was a better filter, and similar in price, so I went with Toyota last time.

I used Mobil 1 5W-20 in my 07 4.7 DC then changed to Mobil 1 0W-20 when that came out and was rated for use in 5W-20 engines. The Mobil 1 5W-20 oil got me about 1-2 mpg better than the Toyota 5W-20 semi synthetic oil at the time. When I switched to 0W-20, that got me another 1 mpg better yet, and when I went to the 0W-20 advanced fuel economy, that was worth another 1 mpg (about 3 mpg total better than the semi synthetic Toyota 5W-20 oil).

I also tried the Mobil 1 15,000 mile oil with the Mobil 1 filter. The oil was very dirty when I changed it (visually). It is a thicker viscosity, so it cost me a couple mpg (more like a semi synthetic), so I only used it once. It was good oil, but I could not get over thinking about any damage I might be doing to my engine once I went past 10,000 miles. It may have been fine, but I just did not feel right about it. I also had to add some oil at 10,000 miles to get to 15,000 miles.

I have never used the Mobil 1 annual oil (too expensive and you have to read the fine print on how long you can run it....I think it is recommended to change at 20,000 or 1 year, whichever comes first).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would recommend the Toyota Filter from dealer if easily accessible. As far as oil I would recommend whatever the manual recommends (probably 5W30) and in a synthetic. Mobile makes a great oil but as long as it matches the specified requirements, any will do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts