Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new to forums I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right discussion. Anyways, I'm planning on replacing my transmission fluid on the crewmax i just bought it and it has 115000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the guy before me ever changed it! I know I'm not supposed to do a total flush with that many miles but my question is, if i drop the pan to replace the filter would I be replacing too much fluid at that point to possibly have problems. Also I'm not sure if i should be using Valoline maxlife ATF or not. i tried researching alternative to Toyota WS but nobody seems to know lol.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to forums I'm not sure if I'm posting this to the right discussion. Anyways, I'm planning on replacing my transmission fluid on the crewmax i just bought it and it has 115000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the guy before me ever changed it! I know I'm not supposed to do a total flush with that many miles but my question is, if i drop the pan to replace the filter would I be replacing too much fluid at that point to possibly have problems. Also I'm not sure if i should be using Valoline maxlife ATF or not. i tried researching alternative to Toyota WS but nobody seems to know lol.
Dropping the pan replaces about 1/3 of the fluid. No harm in that. The power flush done with a pressurized machine is bad. (Stirs up deposits and leaves them in places you don't want them to be.) A DIY flush is not necessarily bad. Replacing all the fluid is very desirable, as long as you do it carefully and don't introduce contamination in the process. Research DIY flush methods using the engine to pump out the fluid via the lines running to the auxiliary cooler. If this is not practical, several drain and fills over a period of time (mixing between) can get some fraction of the old fluid out. In any case, make sure you understand the procedure for checking the fluid level after filling; getting the fluid level correct is essential.

I've read mixed reviews of Valvoline MaxLife. I would recommend staying with genuine Toyota WS to be safe.

Attachments

Reactions: Mr. Creosote

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run Amsoil in mine. It's compatible with the Toyota WS. never had any issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.