Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!!! :)

I'll provide a little background on the truck. 07 about 73k. The truck has sat in the the Florida sun for a few years without driving because the PO was in the Navy and spent a lot of time deployed/at sea.

If got a driveline clunk when just started or at a stop. Getting under the truck and moving the wheels I can see the driveshaft at the slip joint moving and that's where the noise is coming from.

My hypothesis is it sat in the heat and the grease,well melted? Or just broke down. There are no fittings on the shaft that I see, just the joints. So my I idea is to match mark it, unbolt it from the diff, separate the halves and pack it. Good idea?

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
If it is a sealed unit you are probably better off just replacing it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
It's a good idea, I think the slip joint only fits one way but marking it won't hurt at all anyway. Use a molly fortified grease if you can, slip joint only, never the u joints.

Reactions: Ares

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not when you engage the gear. It's during starting off, like from a stop after 3ft or so.

It seems worse in hot weather. Like the heat is thinning the grease.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled it apart a few days ago. Have a pic of the splines on the slip yoke but it didn't show up correctly. Anyway it was dry, but coated with a blue compound of some sort. Greased it up with the Ford moly grease. No bump. I've run a tank of gas through the truck since then and it's still smooth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Update. Few months and 10k, still fixed. No noise.
Thank you very much for following up, there isn’t a whole lot of definitive information on this that I’ve found. And mechanics near me won’t accept any appointments because they don’t understand that there isn’t a grease fitting for it! Even the Toyota dealer near me! Useless these days all anyone wants to do is oil changes and upcharging… sounds like a fun Saturday for me though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts