Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks -

Sorry if this is a FAQ, I tried finding a resolution but my search kung-fu is failing. Hoping someone has seen this gremlin in the past, I'm running out of ideas.

Issue: 2006 Tundra V8 4WD 150K miles, nothing aftermarket like a K&N or anything, just stock other than the radio. Under load (usually uphill) and at about 2000RPM and in overdrive, I get quite a few "surges" on mild acceleration. I have the pedal in one spot, but it feels like I am moving it up/down very quickly. Downhill not really an issue, or with a heavy foot not really an issue. If I pull a trailer (boat dock literally only 2 miles from my house, maybe twice a month) it's quite pronounced, but without a trailer it's again only uphill at about ~2000. It's also not always in overdrive, but that's the easiest way for me to repro given the need for a hill and ~2000rpm. I also don't notice a dip on the Tach when it happens.

I have:
- Replaced the plugs/air filter
- Ran it with 93 octane and SeaFoam in the gastank.
- Had the top-end cleaned with seafoam/etc.
- No check engine lights.
- AC on/off doesn't matter
- Had it driven around now by two mechanics (including one at the dealership) with the live ODB2 monitors and it is showing no issues whatsoever that either could find while reproducing the problem - current/pending/past/etc.
- Confirmed most recent software/firmware, and had the memory "reset" so it would relearn my driving style. Yea, no fix.

Mechanic #1 (supposed 27yr Toyota veteran with his own shop) who cleaned the top end was discussing various potential air related issues but with no way to confirm any of them, he sent me to the dealership. He also said he was able to reproduce the problem in Park when the vehicle was cold, but I haven't pulled that off yet. Basically I think he didn't want to be married to a problem vehicle for an extended period.

Dealership reset the memory on the computer and said they wanted to check the transmission fluid later when the engine was cool. This truck has the "World" fluid that never needs replacement, but he said they wanted to confirm the levels - even though there is no leak. I'm not sure that last one makes sense, guy was obviously grasping at straws since his computer showed nothing.

Any ideas here? It's an exceptionally annoying issue, and I would really appreciate any expertise. I don't want to start tossing $1000 bills around if I can help it while the dealer guesses. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rear diff, is yours limited slip?:dunno:
Wow thanks for the quick reply. I am frankly embarrassed to say I'm not sure. :eek: Any way for me to tell other than getting a buddy and finding a gravel road? Any particular reason you are focusing on the LS? Maybe I should test in 4WD?

·
"Rain Maker"
4,325 Posts
I can feel surges and jerks when on snow with my Ls? Just throwing things out.:dunno: not a mechanic.
There is usually some kind of sticker on the rear diff because LS had different fluid, or just modifiers, in it

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Whoopido, does this happen in any gear at 2000 rpm? Try taking a drive in 2nd and run around that RPM range, then drop into D with OD off to stick in third around that RPM range.

I'm not too sure on the LSD idea, even though LSD usually sounds good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whoopido, does this happen in any gear at 2000 rpm? Try taking a drive in 2nd and run around that RPM range, then drop into D with OD off to stick in third around that RPM range.

I can't get it to reproduce in 2nd, mainly because it's so hard to hold that low of an RPM in that gear. It *does* repro in 3rd / overdrive off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I wanted to give an update here in case it helps someone else. I was still having this issue, now 25K miles later, and pretty much just learned to live with it. Truck is still very reliable, just an irritation with the surge. I just didn't want to start throwing money and shot-gunning potential fixes.

Anyway, I started poking around again and found this thread for an FJ, which had a suggestion to clean the Mass Air Flow sensor. Timely, as I had just tried cleaning and then had to replace the same sensor on my wifes car so I had the fluid at the house. Pulled it out, gave it a dozen shots with the cleaner, right back in.

While not at 100%, the difference was significant. If I had to give a percentage, I'd say this was a 75% improvement from prior. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If that helped, changing your O2 sensors could possibly help further. They also give the engine real time feedback on what air fuel ratio and ignition timing to run etc. and if they're not working 100% properly they could cause similar effect. Also, when was the last time you took the throttle body off to give it a good cleaning?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts