Will it fit - 2014 CM 4WD All Stock - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Will it fit - 2014 CM 4WD All Stock

Time has come to replace the stock tires on my truck, and it seems I have paralysis by analysis when it comes to tire fitment. I am trying to figure out what will fit on my all stock truck, as I am limited in height increase with my work parking garage. I'm not in the market to lift / level, though I am entertaining it down the road (likely 6112). I would entertain spacers if needed to clear the UCA. I am not interested in / considering the BMC, but willing to do the mods to plastic and skid plate.

Driving: 90% highway / city streets. Beaches are a majority of the off roading with some mud and dirt roads. I will not be doing any rock crawling.

Truck: 2014 CM 4WD Platinum
Suspension: Stock
Wheels: Stock

Choice A: Ridge Grapplers 295/60 20 (33.94 x 11.77)
Choice B: Exo Grapplers 285/60 20 (33.7 x 11.5)
Choice C: Ridge Grapplers 305/55 20 (33.23 x 12.44)
Choice D: Exo Grapplers 305/55 20 (33.46 x 12.44)
Wildcard 1: BFG KO2 285/65 20
Wildcard 2: BFG KO2 305/55 20

I'm on the fence about the BFG KO2's. I have had the KO's in the past and they lived up to their reputation as being difficult to balance, and I have heard enough anecdotal evidence it still is an issue with the KO2's. I have had a couple of sets of Terra Grapplers on different vehicles and they have been great.

These are in order of preference, so help please! Do they fit? (Particularly Choice A!)

Nitto Ridge Grappler 295x60 20
BakFlip MX4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
To answer my own question and provide a reference to other 2014+ owners.

I purchased a set of 295x60 20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers from @discount Tire last week and had them installed. Excellent and quick service, and they were hesitant about the size on the truck...but it came out perfect.

Fit:
Truck is completely stock, using stock wheels, no spacers, no level/lift. Tires fit with very minor rub on the drivers side of the skid plate when turning the wheel to the right. The tires clear the UCA with less than inch of space, and some rub can be seen when compressed while turning. The tires clear all plastic lining, but I can't speak to the front mud flaps as I removed those some time ago. I did not take measurements of the fender heights before I put the tires on...minor regret.

Look:
These are some aggressive looking tires, and this size fills the wheel wells nicely.

Driving Impressions:
Initial impressions are good. These tires soak up more of the road imperfections, probably due to the larger sidewall. I do notice a bit more wandering over the road but only a minor amount. Road noise is up, but only slightly...it's not like these are quiet vehicles. Cornering confidence is gaining and there is slightly more body roll, likely due to increased side wall.

Performance:
- MPG is too early to tell. I have only driven about 300 miles so far and haven't noticed a significant dip in economy. I do have two road trips coming up that should give me an overall better idea of any hit to performance.
- Speedometer: obviously this is off by about 6%. No big deal to me as 90% of my miles are done in the city.
- Power / performance: I notice the truck working slightly harder to get moving or pass in traffic. Maybe a slight increase in the number of downshifts. Overall, definitely enough power to get the truck moving and out of it's own way.
- I will probably get them off road in the sand / mud this coming weekend to get them dirty.

I haven't had a chance to take pics yet, the weather has been a bit wet here...and I want a chance to clean the truck! I'll be sure to get pics of the clearances as well.

BakFlip MX4
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
native texican, thank you for your very detailed post about your experience with the Nitto Ridge Grappler 295/60R-20 tires. Sounds like they are just what you wanted.

Thank you for your support,

-Don

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Following. can't wait to see pics have the same truck looking at the same tires!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did you ever get around to taking some pictures?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisianaboy View Post
Did you ever get around to taking some pictures?
I will get to it today. I finally got around to washing the truck yesterday and it was dark by the time i finished cleaning her up after work.

BakFlip MX4
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Here's the only pic I was able to get yesterday. The weather didn't cooperate and started pouring right after this. I will try to get some better pics this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BakFlip MX4
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Garage
Excellent information, thanks for posting. Very surprised to see those fit on a totally stock truck when I'm pondering putting them on a 6112/5160 w/ +3CBs, and have been for >6 months!

I suppose I ought to look back at 35's now but keep the width to <11.5", paralysis by analysis is right.

"I will ride the wave where it takes me."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefisher View Post
Excellent information, thanks for posting. Very surprised to see those fit on a totally stock truck when I'm pondering putting them on a 6112/5160 w/ +3CBs, and have been for >6 months!

I suppose I ought to look back at 35's now but keep the width to <11.5", paralysis by analysis is right.
The thing you might keep in mind is the change in geometry with the coilover setup. I will try to get a pic of the UCA clearance today cause it's tight, and not sure if that change would be enough to require spacers or new wheels. Food for thought.

I almost did 35x11.5 but figured that would be too tight on stock suspension.

Now I just need to trim the skid a little bit, it's the only place it rubs currently. And only on full right lock

BakFlip MX4

Last edited by native texican; 07-27-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: for edit's sake
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Finally, a few pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2055.JPG (165.4 KB, 39 views)

BakFlip MX4
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for this information. I realize this thread is from last July but I am hoping you can give me an update on your tires? I have found that the 295/60/20 has limited choices but the Nitto RG seems like a good option. I have a similiar set up to you but I have a 1.5" front lift and the skid plate is gone. Based on your overview it sounds like I would be in good shape from a rubbing standpoint. I would definitely appreciate your feed back and insight now that you have had the tires for awhile. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires > Will it fit?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in