TPMS LIGHT FIX (simple and easy) - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
TPMS LIGHT FIX (simple and easy)

Mods, This would be a good one to Sticky in this section, because if we change wheels and tires, we have to deal with this and it cost nothing.

All of us that own toyotas get sick of the TPMS issues when we don't put the sensors in our aftermarket wheels. People have come up with some interesting ways to put sensors in pressurized canisters, put them all in the spare tire and what not.

Here is the proper way to eliminate the TPMS light on your late model FJ Cruiser, Tacoma, Tundra, Sequoia, and Land Cruiser. Also, it is fully reversible when the time comes to sell the truck or put the factory wheels back on.

I have performed this in the past on my 2007 FJ, 2008 Tacoma, and now my 2007 Tundra.

Start by removing the Bezel around the Gauge Cluster. The Tacoma and FJ are much easier than the Tundra, so I am going to show you how on the Tundra.

Start at the lower left hand corner and start prying out the bezel with your hands, there is no reason to use tools here for this.

Once you get it started pull it out far enough to reach through the gauge cluster openings to pull and pop the clips evenly with out applying too much force.

Once loose undo the electrical connections that are attached to the bezel, on the Tundra there are quite a few of them.

Then go ahead and undo the large black wire that goes up and over the top of the Bezel openings. Remove it from the guides and let it fall behind the bezel, Also here you are going to have to remove or unclip the vinyl flap that hides the steering colum when fully extended. Stick your fingers through the Bezel and reach down, there are 4 clips holding it on, just pinch them together and they will release away from the bezel. If you have big hands, this can be hard to do.

Once the bezel is removed, there are 4 screws securing the gauge cluster, remove them and keep them in a safe place.

Once removed you will see the wire harness and clip, undo the harness and muscle out the black clip to remove the gauge Cluster.

Now that the cluster is out, set it on a clean bench, if you are worried about scratching it, work on a soft bath towel.

Find the cover clips and very carefully push them out and remove the clear plastic cover.

Next remove the black bezel surround by the same matter.

Now you have your naked bezel, take note of where the instrument needles are, remove the lower right needle by pulling up on it, you may need to leverage your fingers on the vinyl backing to get enough torque to pull it up. Once it slides off, pull the vinyl backing up to expose the lights underneath.

Take a 1" piece of black electrical tape and put it over the small square under the vinyl backing to "block the light" from the TPMS sensor warning lamp. The tape is right at the end of my finger in place under the vinyl backing

Push the vinyl backing flat again, reinstall the Gauge needle that you removed. (important note, you may have disrupted the location of this gauge. put the needle back on half way, rotate it till you feel tension going to the left, this is resetting it to zero or off. Pull the needle back off and put it back on so that the setting is correct and consistent to when you took it off.)

Put everything back together and enjoy no longer having the stupid TPMS Light warning on your dash!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chitown4x4 For This Useful Post:
07Standard57 (11-23-2012), BlackTundra52 (11-24-2013), Dixon Cider (02-20-2016), EUPHOR1C (03-23-2011), Fehlrock (01-15-2014), Pierow (02-10-2010), yostertag (02-10-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,176 Times in 705 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Very nice. I think I would just put a piece of black tape over the light if was bothering me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"That's liable to earn you a Burmese-roundhouse-sphincter-kick with a follow up three fingered eye-jab".

Some Canadien dood.

WHITE TUNDRA CLUB MEMBER #5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algolfer69 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016), JEMGN (10-15-2012)
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Premium Member

Thanked 44,819 Times in 20,162 Posts
Mentioned: 884 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Cool write-up! Stuck it too .....

#blackriflesmatter #whitelivesmatter #MAGA
The Following User Says Thank You to Jesco For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016)

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy frickin' long OP batmanWouldn't it have been easier to say "pull the cluster and install tape over the TPMS light port?"

Good info though.

2009 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 TRD in Pyrite Mica
Tundra owner since May '09
The Following User Says Thank You to ripcord For This Useful Post:
t4prizm96 (01-23-2013)
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,209 Posts
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
The problem with this fix is that the computer still thinks the light is on. I made a canister to keep the TPMS in, and I have found that my gas mileage increased with the light off. I have checked mileage with the light on and off several times, and my tests have always yielded the same results.

The Following User Says Thank You to tonyspin For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016)
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord View Post
Holy frickin' long OP batmanWouldn't it have been easier to say "pull the cluster and install tape over the TPMS light port?"

Good info though.
Yes.. but then I would have a million PM's on how I did that!
The Following User Says Thank You to chitown4x4 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016)
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post
The problem with this fix is that the computer still thinks the light is on. I made a canister to keep the TPMS in, and I have found that my gas mileage increased with the light off. I have checked mileage with the light on and off several times, and my tests have always yielded the same results.
Why do you think this is? is the ECU compensating somehow because it thinks the tires are flat?

2009 Tundra CrewMax 5.7L 4x4 SR5 TRD in Pyrite Mica
Tundra owner since May '09
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM
"Cold Shot"
Premium Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm. Novel idea, but wouldn't it be easier to just cut out a small piece of tape and stick it on the outside of the glass covering the cluster? Not as clean, but a 5 second job.

EDIT: Oh, I see Al suggested that already. I have hands the size of picnic hams, no doubt I'd break something, but if nothing else, this is well worth the sticky to show how to take the instrument cluster out.
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyspin View Post

I called my Toyota Tech on this one, The TPMS sensor system is completely separate from any of the engine ECU components. It has its own sending box and ecu that turns the warning light on and off. It is "impossible" for the TPMS sensor system to have any effect on the engine function.

I have to believe him because I have done this in 3 Toyota trucks and it never yielded a change in MPG and I track it in a book every fill up.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chitown4x4 For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016), Fehlrock (01-15-2014), plumber802 (07-12-2018)
post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX2010DC View Post
Hmmm. Novel idea, but wouldn't it be easier to just cut out a small piece of tape and stick it on the outside of the glass covering the cluster? Not as clean, but a 5 second job.

EDIT: Oh, I see Al suggested that already. I have hands the size of picnic hams, no doubt I'd break something, but if nothing else, this is well worth the sticky to show how to take the instrument cluster out.
Because that is not a fix, its a terrible piece of black tape sitting on your dash that would bug the hell out of you. Maybe im just more anal than most, but this is the way to make the light go away and not have to think about it any more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chitown4x4 For This Useful Post:
Martin0341 (03-20-2011), yostertag (02-10-2010)
post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Thank you for the instructions and pics chitown4x4! Very informative. Threads like these are very helpful, and why I like this site so much!

2010 Crewmax SR5 2WD
Silver Sky
Power Buckets
Spray-on bed liner
4" Tube steps
Sure-Grip hand controls
Weather-Tech's- group buy(soon!)
The Following User Says Thank You to yostertag For This Useful Post:
Diamond Equine (09-17-2013)
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcord View Post
Why do you think this is? is the ECU compensating somehow because it thinks the tires are flat?
I have tested Tundra codes for Linear Logic (the manufacturers of Scangauge) and from my work with them I know that the computer receives input from the TPMS sensors, even though it is another module that tells the light to come on. My truck came with 40 degree sensors and I was not able to use them in the TRD rims from I purchased off EBay, so I was driving around with the light on. I decided to make a pressure vessel to keep the sensors in, just because the light annoyed me, and after I did I noticed an increase in MPG. I tested this several times by letting the pressure out of the vessel, and when I did my MPG dropped. I am only talking about a small change. In the 3 tests I did, the increase from the previous tank with the light on was 6, 5, and 7% respectively. I am convinced there is an effect on mileage with the light on.

Dixon Cider (02-20-2016)
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown4x4 View Post
I called my Toyota Tech on this one, The TPMS sensor system is completely separate from any of the engine ECU components. It has its own sending box and ecu that turns the warning light on and off. It is "impossible" for the TPMS sensor system to have any effect on the engine function.

I have to believe him because I have done this in 3 Toyota trucks and it never yielded a change in MPG and I track it in a book every fill up.
True, the TPMS sensors have a separate module, but the main computer reads this information as well. I have tested codes for Linear Logic that have to do with information from the TPMS sensors, and these come from the main computer.

I understand that you have done this on 3 trucks and it has never changed the MPG. I would not expect a piece of tape to help MPG. I have only done my fix on 1 truck, mine, but I have tested it 3 times and noticed gains each time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyspin For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016), RHChan84 (02-12-2017)
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:41 AM

Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,816 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Maybe with the light on, the alternator needs to work harder.. j/k

Tony have you tried pulling the tpms module from under the dash?
The Following User Says Thank You to volleyball For This Useful Post:
Dixon Cider (02-20-2016)
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volleyball View Post
Tony have you tried pulling the tpms module from under the dash?
No, I have not tried that, and I don't think that will help. I checked back through my correspondence with James De Long of Linear Logic on this subject and this is what he said:

"However my thinking is that since some OBDII check engine codes relate specifically to low tire pressure then the OBDII system must be getting that information relayed somehow. If there is a path from the TPMS module to OBDII then that leaves hope there's a path to access information through OBDII to the TPMS. The tricky part is finding out how to dig through the code to it."

As of now, there are still no codes to read this on Scangauge.

Everest (07-29-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in