Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Trade up wheels at time of purchase

7K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  SaltH20 
#1 ·
The truck I am thinking of buying has the standard steel wheels. If I wanted to upgrade to say the TRD offroad wheels or TRD black wheels, would the dealer make the swap and I pay the difference? All wheels being 18". It may be less hassle than selling the steelies on-line and buying the TRD wheels separately. Opinions? :beerchug:

#3 ·
Doesn't hurt to ask. They may have some extras around or work them into the deal. Also I always go to at least two dealers and check on line for vehicle deals. No matter what the dealer says vehicles are marked way up so they have room to deal. I've never bought a new vehicle where the dealer hasn't claimed to have lost money...

#4 ·
The truck is a SR5 w/upgrade package, dc 2wd in Quicksand. The steel wheels make the truck look blah but the TRD offroads would pep it up a bit. The truck has a build date of May and has been sitting on the lot a long time so I think I can work a good deal. My other option is to just go up to the TRD Sport and pick up all the options that I would need to upgrade anyway.

#5 ·
It would be less of a hassle to have the dealer do it, but a lot cheaper if you could find some used ones. I found some on CL with practically new Michelin tires identical to mine. After selling my tires and steel wheels, I had less than $200 into the swap. I had a tire shop take out the TPMS sensors from the steel wheels and put them in my newer wheels since the seller removed his. The angle is different for the steel wheels, so the sensor sticks up and doesn't lay along the inside of the rim.

#12 ·
I don't know. Going from a bare bones SR5 to a TRD offroad or sport is a pretty big jump. LED lights, front and rear TRD sway bars, Bilstein shocks upgrade, navigation (radio, etc). I am hoping for the dealer to throw in the TRD wheels and tires as part of the deal. The rest I will upgrade as time goes by (with the exception of the LED lights, they are $$).

#13 ·
Here is South Texas (Austin, San Antonio and vicinity) I have purchased mulitiple sets of wheels for $100.00 the set. Lots of guys seem to think they are worth gold but with patience you can get what ya want. I have two sets of AL 18" and 20" wheels. I'm not collecting wheels they served different purposes. The first set of 20" wheels came with brand new studded snow tires. I was living in Hawthorne, NV at the time and while not a required, they sure put my mind at ease as I would go around Lake Tahoe and Mamoth mountain area. I was trying to get 5 AL wheels so I could include my spare in the tire rotation. I bought street tires for towing that could support 3k lbs of weight. I kept getting flats with the stock tires on the gravel roads around town. Anyway my 2 cents. If I was going to buy a new truck I would negotiate the best price, and then after price is fixed tell them you also want upgrade on the wheels. I've been told by a mechanic working for my dealer in NV that the dealership will take off the old wheels and then try to sell them. Usually to the mechanics for what ever allowance the dealer offered in trade. Usually not more then $200 the set. If the public does ask about the extra wheels they sell them as brand new parts for full retail.

#14 ·
Garrambide,
Thanks for you input and advice. I will keep it in mind. I'm still tossing the idea of getting the TRD Sport instead of the SR5 bare bones. From what I can figure out price-wise, the upgrades to the Sport are about $3500 above the price of the SR5. To make those upgrades myself (TRD suspension, LED headlights and foglight, 20" wheels, navigation...) I would certainly be pushing that cost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.