Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum banner

Nitto vs. Falken vs. Hankook

14K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  RDTundra 
#1 ·
Tundra bros,

Currently own a 2015 DC, 5.7. Just got new rims and now I am starting to get the new tire bug (probably a next year purchase). I do no towing (occasional full bed of mulch) and get on some dirt roads for fishing trips in the mountains just a handful of times a year. I drive 60-70 miles daily so I am staying with 275-76-18 SL/XL rated tires to keep the weight down. Also looking for an aggressive looking tire. I am torn between the Nitto Ridge Grappler, Falken Wildpeak AT3WA and Hankook Dynapro RF10. I wish there was an American made option that fits my needs but it doesn't look like it. I considered the SL rated Duratrac but sounds like guys have had balancing issues and lost mpg. I also considered the Cooper AT3 4S but it doesn't look aggressive enough.

Let me know what you guys think on these choices (good, bad and ugly).

#9 ·
Interesting enough, most reviews on this forum say they are pretty good in the snow........I am struggling a little bit to figure out which of these have the severe snow service rating. Looks like the Falken and the Duratracs do.

Try the Cooper STT Pro. Very aggressive tread, they are a little loud though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This looks like a nice set of tired but are too heavy (E rating) and would impact my mpg.

My nitto ridge grapplers are made in the USA. Not sure if they all are though.

These are currently at the top of my list for looks but I have some concerns with snow and don't love the fact that they are one of the only tires without a warranty.

Did you look at the Cooper AT3 XLT?
This will be my new tire when my KO2s wear out.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT | Cooper Tire

Here is a thread on them.

https://www.tundratalk.net/forums/t...206-new-shoes-cooper-at3-xlt-275-70-18-a.html

A quick article on USA made tires..

https://www.utires.com/articles/tires-made-usa-american-foreign-brands/
If I was okay with dropping mpg I would chose this tire but I don't really need an "E" rated tire. Just looking for an aggressive but pavement friendly P/XL rated tire that is pretty light.

#6 ·
Try the Cooper STT Pro. Very aggressive tread, they are a little loud though.

#8 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Have those Nitto trail grapplers and they are awesome. Great tires and aggressive looking. Not too noisy 35/20/12.5 on my second set 2011 CM 4x4 4.6 155k miles now !! Love em I highly recommend these tires.

[/QUOTE]

These were at one point my top pic but I have read some negative reviews for snow performance. Any experience in the snow?

#11 ·
Tires vary in terms of wet and snow and dirt performance and with softer rubber there may be more grip but they can wear out faster.

Off-road use takes priority for me as I do not want to have sidewall damage from rocks as then the tire is no longer usable and I have to abort or take a chance of continuing when I now longer have a spare tire.

In the past the Wranglers were a very good all purpose light truck tire but they have changed over the years. I have been running the Nitto Terra Grappler tires for the past 6 years and they will last for 50,000 miles and that includes many miles with up to 2-ton loads in the bed.

The tire manufacturers' websites and places like Americastire.com provide reviews by owners as to the performance and wear of the tires and I find this very useful in selecting a tire. The Michelin LT are well regarded by RVer's but on the other hand a neighbor has to drive down a long gravel road to the main highway and the tires would pick up gravel and then sling them up against the sides of the truck the first few miles on the pavement.

#12 ·
I have the Hankook Dynapro on 2015 Crewmax 5.7L now with about 45k miles on them, about 4-5/32 left. They are decent. They are quiet, ride great. I have had a little side wall shake from the start so I have to run them a little higher pressure to make them smooth on the highway. It could probably be balanced out with a road force balance. I really like the Michelin tires. I have had several and they are simply excellent. Quiet, smooth, stay balanced, wear excellent. I have had terrible luck with Cooper (shake, poor wear), General (shake, terrible wear, don't stay round), Goodyear (wear too fast).

I put a lot of miles on and have gone through a lot of tires. Michelin is the one I have never had a problem with. Firestone's have also been excellent. BF Goodrich have been very good.

#20 ·
I had the Nitto's on my 2012. I could never keep them balanced. I ran 3 sets over several years, same results. I went Toyo's on my 2016 and won't ever go back to Nitto's.

#21 ·
I have General Grabber ATs. When I went shopping over 3 years ago I asked for one of the more popular name brands and the salesperson told me I wouldn't regret it trying the General Grabbers instead for a couple hundred less installed than anything else. They do everything well including dry pavement grip, never had a balance issue, and not even have worn yet at 26-27K miles. Braking handling and acceleration on snow feel better than the Toyo OC ATs I had before

#23 ·
Any chance you run the 275-65-18 p-rated Duratracs? I have narrowed down the search to the Cooper AT3 XLT 275/70r18 or the p-rated Duratrac 275/65r18. I do not do anything that justifies a LT rated tire and it stinks to lose 1-2mpg and some acceleration. I do plan on doing the bilstein 5100 middle setting and thing the 275/65r18 may look a little small after looking at hundreds of photos of the 275/70r18.

#24 ·
Just for the record the p rated bfg tires that came on my truck lasted 30,000 miles. Switched to 34’s e rated coopers and they lasted almost 60,000 miles. Just swiped to 33” nittos e rated.

I’ve averaged around 14mpg since I bought the truck. I didn’t see a big drop with the lift and tires. Pretty much stayed the same.

#29 ·
I use the Falken Wildpeak AT3, 275/70 R18 a 33 inch tire that works with stock rim and does not rub in any way. Picked these up at Walmart for $167 each and 55k warranty.
Had first set of these on my 2010 Tundra and they lasted just over 64K and I replaced due to age. Now running a set on my 2019 and they are doing well with just over 4200 miles on the tires. I live in the PNW so I see a vast mixture of snow, ice, and rain. Haven't had any problems with these tires.
Replaced my Falkens with Michelins on my 2010 and really noticed a difference on the ice and snow, so have gone back to the Falkens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.