Tire Experts? Having issues with what tires to buy - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tire Experts? Having issues with what tires to buy

Hi all!

I have a 2014 Tundra that was equipped with a special package (XP/TSS) that comes with non-Toyota rims. At 70k miles I have been through 2 complete sets of tires (BF Goodrich All Terrain) and now its time to buy tires again. Both sets of tires expired too quickly with way excessive wear on the outside edge of all tires. This wear would always get worse unless we increased the tire pressure from the recommended value of 30 psi to 39-40 psi. It had almost seemed like the front tires would always sag with the weight of the truck and I always wondered if the tire was not meant for that size vehicle. It was at this point I found someone online who had almost the exact same truck as me, just from a different dealer. Same rims, and truck package but you could see through his pictures that his tires were wearing just fine. I reached out out to ask about his tire and sure enough the measurements were different than mine. Tires specs are below:

His tire: LT285/55R20 and had KO2 on the side wall.

My Tire: P275/60R20 with no KO2.

I know the first number is the width of the tire and is it even possible that a wider tire could fit on my rim? Also with the second number is it possible for me to get the side wall with 55 so its not as tall? The rims are the exact same brand and look completely the same (The black ultra motorpsports) but the width of his tires are making me question that. Also would you recommend I get a LT tire instead of the P I currently have?

Thank you all so much and I am so sorry if this is the wrong place for questions like these.

Side note- Second set of tires were aligned and balanced at purchase, but were aligned two additional times. The alignment was always "Green" at the dealer but they mentioned that sometimes with aftermarket rims you had to dial them in a bit better than OEM.

TLDR: My tires wear excessively bad, found someone else who has very similar rims and his tires are completely different than mine, now trying to figure out which tires my shop should order. Truck was bought used so last set of tires were bought to match set that was already on. First set lasted 20k, Second set was really bad by 45k, but by increasing air pressure we were able to make it this long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Let's see here.

You were running 30 PSI on truck tires? Today's tires you need to be at 40. At least. Outside edge premature wear is a sign of under inflation.

55 aspect ratio tire? Sure. Should be no problem.

Had the truck aligned when the 2nd set o f tires were bought. O.K. At THE DEALER. Oh goodness. We may have found the problem.

On these next tires I'd go with Nitto Terra Grapplers. And run them at a MINIMUM of 40 psi.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
40 PSI = bone jarring ride.

Check the inflation sticker on the door, and find you sweet spot that's near what is listed.

Michelin tires have served me better than any other.

Also, 18" is the largest rim I'd run on a Gen 2 Tundra

Last edited by H2O MAN; 08-26-2018 at 01:10 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Yep sticker states 30PSI front and 33PSI rear. Max pressure thats on the sidewall says 44PSI so we went with 40 and that did stop the outside edge from going.

Here is the last inspection before alignment when I went in saying alignment was bad, they said nope gave me the printout and we went with high air pressure to try and get some life out of them.

https://imgur.com/a/fTGN2KT
The Following User Says Thank You to jdhodges27 For This Useful Post:
H2O MAN (08-26-2018)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:13 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Our trucks are heavy and chew up tires. Agree that higher tire pressures are needed to save outside edges, and 5000 mile tire rotations help. For my sports cars, I love Michelins, but don't think they are the best for trucks. My factory michelins were showing noticeable wear after 5000 miles. Since then I've gone with terra grapplers and ridge grapplers both only seemed to last 30K miles. Now have the Terra Grap G2 - too soon to tell if will get better mileage. Other than the wear, I recommend the Nitto line, reasonably quiet, aggressive looks, good traction in most conditions, decent tire wear for A/T tires.

2014 Tundra DC, 5.7 Supercharged.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 04:41 PM

Thanked 2,143 Times in 1,208 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Outside edge wear indicates that your tire pressures are too low and P metric tires are made for passenger cars. If you want a nice smooth ride then you will get lousy tire mileage. If you want tires that will last go to a load range "C" LT tire and run it at 45-50 psi.

'19 SR5 DC, 5.7, TRD
Toyota SS steps, ARE MX cap
Toyota bed step, Weathertech Vent Visors
Techstream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TWACC #7
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
non Toyota rims makes me think this was a dealer installed option, and not a good one. I would research what wheels should be on that Tundra, and maybe find a used set to get down the road safely
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovTundra View Post
.... You were running 30 PSI on truck tires? Today's tires you need to be at 40. At least. Outside edge premature wear is a sign of under inflation.... .
I would strenuously disagree if it's "P Metric" tires. Maybe so with LT rated tires.
I dont offroad or need the extremely high load rating ... years ago I switched from LT to P-metric and never looked back. High pressure LT is a very harsh ride , compared to P-metric.
Regardless, I always use as a starting point, the spec from owners manual or the sticker/decal inside drivers door.

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-31-2018 at 11:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum > Tundra Discussion > Tundra Wheels & Tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in